TEAC A3340S

TigerTEAC

New Around These Parts
Hi guys,
I got this serviced, drop dead beautiful TEAC A3340S reel to reel about 6 months back, and I love it so much! The four things I love on it is the fast 15 IPS speed, multitrack capabilities, 10.5 reel compatibility, and dun dun dunnnn! Simul Sync. This deck is the best sounding, easiest to use home recording studio deck I've ever seen! Here it is playing "Calypso" by John Denver at 15 IPS using Scotch 150 tape.
Thanks,
Ryan

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Hi guys,
I got this serviced, drop dead beautiful TEAC A3340S reel to reel about 6 months back, and I love it so much! The four things I love on it is the fast 15 IPS speed, multitrack capabilities, 10.5 reel compatibility, and dun dun dunnnn! Simul Sync. This deck is the best sounding, easiest to use home recording studio deck I've ever seen! Here it is playing "Calypso" by John Denver at 15 IPS using Scotch 150 tape.
Thanks,
Ryan
My opinion of 150 is greatly bolstered now...dayam!

Can you do that with 111 too?

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Yes, it is! Got banned off Tapeheads because I "Scare" Pacific Stereo. Fine. I'm happy here.
Thanks,
Ryan
I saw your other video, no wonder you scare him! I'm sure he feels pretty old now. :notworthy: (I jest badly). And you lay down some mean licks! Welcome home Ryan!

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
It was his fault he was up in an experimental which don't have the maintenance scrutiny that a regular aircraft has.
Happened to Steve Appleton, late CEO of Micron Technology as well, crashed and burned trying to taking off in Boise, Idaho in 2012. Both planes were experimental IIRC. Both were experienced pilots as well. It was true the the model Appleton was flying was known to have a bad track record at times though.

Experimental doesn't mean inferior, it just means not a production plane in most cases, homebrew, developmental...there is an Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) that people with prototype and modified aircraft join and it's their trade body as well.

PS Sniffer, the big broadcasting units were usually little Revox A or B 77s and the A only gets to 7.5 ips. I have an A 77 just like the ones they used in automation at our two former AM-FM combos when I was a teenager.

Hint: The cart carousel makers would often give you one if you bought their behemoth ugly and often broken IGM thing, whether the one that rotated the carts or had them stacked in columns and rows and pulled the carts in to a single long capstan for each column, with a roller at each slot. This was what you used in 1979 when I first visited the studios in our mall at the age of 13 (I won a bike).

Last edited:

TigerTEAC

New Around These Parts
My opinion of 150 is greatly bolstered now...dayam!

Can you do that with 111 too?
You can with proper biasing and eq, my friend. It's just a little rough on your heads, and easy to break if not careful. There's a tension function on the 2340 and 3340 models that says "large and small reels," DEFINITELY use the small reel tension with 111. It's fragile. Also, to help with that roughness of the tape, get some non drying silicone gel, put it on a paper towel, and run it across the tape. A paper towel may sound stupid, but it gets up old oxide and lubes the tape. If you want to use 111, do the things I said above.
Ryan.

TigerTEAC

New Around These Parts
I saw your other video, no wonder you scare him! I'm sure he feels pretty old now. :notworthy: (I jest badly). And you lay down some mean licks! Welcome home Ryan!
Well, thank you for welcoming me home! Feels like home here! It's just like Tapeheads, except you're at a beach resort instead of an office.
Ryan.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You can with proper biasing and eq, my friend. It's just a little rough on your heads, and easy to break if not careful. There's a tension function on the 2340 and 3340 models that says "large and small reels," DEFINITELY use the small reel tension with 111. It's fragile. Also, to help with that roughness of the tape, get some non drying silicone gel, put it on a paper towel, and run it across the tape. A paper towel may sound stupid, but it gets up old oxide and lubes the tape. If you want to use 111, do the things I said above.
Ryan.

HUH?????