Tascam releasing a new type-II cassette

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
Some of the promotional info from their web site: MASTER 424 Studio Cassette | SPECIFICATIONS | TASCAM - United States

And a few images from their site:

View attachment 58997
View attachment 59001

Nando.
I must admit: These pictures are excellent and tasty, but I don't understand the definition "master" of such tapes....

Over the last 12 years I've done almost everything possible with tapes and proved they can sound more than excellent, but I've also rediscoverd the limits of this medium..

So, using a term "master" will be very relative in this case.. (it's like inventing the wheel with a wobble in it again..)

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
agree with you, Miles.

the word Master is not proper with cassettes and especially when the shells have those reels inside, which are more a problem than a solution and a good looking gimmick at best.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I would want to record on one to evaluate it so that to find out if it is not that Korean Chrome tape of BASF that would not sell in the 80's. There is a lot of junk tape out there like NAC 799. You have to look more for the good stuff as the junk is right in your face most the time.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Hey I was on ATR shop site today just to check the cost of 1" tape and I saw them selling ATR cassette tapes that are $19 which are chrome C-60 with the reels in them. So it seems like these are popping up in a lot more places and Tascam is not the only one with them. It is too coincidental that the same kind of product is seen at near the same time- now to find out who is making them. 1643783740447.png

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I was thinking about that but what if I don't like it? I would not want to cause them any harm. I do not say too much about Capture tape either for the same reason.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
You could do the evaluation for them (and us) and let them decide if they want to publish.

I think they are asking too much for their cassettes if I recall from several years ago, as compared to NOS pricing .

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I am short on money now to buy these but it really is not my job to evaluate products from producers. It just makes me mad when certain companies try and pass off garbage tape like the BASF for Studio Master tape and it is clearly lacking and I can not adjust the 488 to it as the record pots do not have enough range to deal with it. I was told they have a lower noise floor than the Maxell stuff so I went and measured it -1dB less and still with -5dB print level that does not add up in my math as a net better S/N ratio and in fact less. Maxell went through a lot of trouble to make that XL II tape as I am sure it was not done on their first attempt. That is why today it is hard to beat that tape except with the one that is even more rare than the XL II which is HSX.