Tascam releasing a new type-II cassette

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Yep. For their 50th anniversary they are releasing a limited (I guess) 60- min type II cassette. They claim it’s great but I’ll see if I can get one and put it through the paces.

Also according to them a cobalt alloy tape. Maybe it won’t suck?

But if it is limited, not sure how useful they will be moving forward.

(pass the TDK please)

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I’m reserving judgement. They are making some bold claims. And I’m a Tascam fan as most of you know

I’ll do a head to head with NOS SA tapes and see how it holds up. Assuming I get one. I’m not sure how “limited” they are going to be.

Who is making new type II tape today? Maybe they found some old stock pancakes…

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Well, not snapping during fast wind would be a plus, yes. I’m more concerned with the coating thickness than film thickness.

I’ll look into NAC’s tape and see what’s up there. I had heard about their threats to produce a new type II but gave up waiting at some point and lost touch.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
I’ll look into NAC’s tape and see what’s up there. I had heard about their threats to produce a new type II but gave up waiting at some point and lost touch.
And I had stopped following any news about NAC own made tapes after seeing all those coating issues they had with their first attempt of making a ferric tape. (rough and uneven coating)
Does anyone know if they solved their coating issues in the meanwhile?

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
So, for less than the price of 2x TDK SA90 from the 'Bay, you can get a box of 10 of these.

From NAC's site:

C799 Studio Master 60 Minute Type II Cobalt Packaged Cassettes

799 Studio Master 60 minute tapes, imprinted and packaged in boxes of 10.
• NAC’s highest quality mastering cassette
• Smooth-running cassette housing
• Imprinted tape and traditional J-card
• Clear Norelco-style box
• Individually cello-wrapped with tear strip
• Packed in protective 10-pack box
• 10-pack box shrink-wrapped to prevent contamination.
Requires recording equipment with a high bias setting.
$40.70

Featuring genuine high bias cobalt mastering tape. For the most demanding recording applications, Studio Master sets the gold standard in Type II performance. Cobalt oxide combines outstanding output and low distortion providing unmatched musical clarity. This high bias tape delivers up to 4db more output than earlier Type II tapes without saturation or distortion.

Specification is for +2 db over biasing at 6.3 kHz. 20 db below reference level.
Record Equalization — For optimum performance, record equalization should be set after biasing as the oxide in this tape responds somewhat differently due to its high performance characteristics. Sold in Cartons of 10.

The length of the tape refers to the full recordable time on both sides of the tape. A C-60 cassette has 30 minutes of recording time on each side.

Note: National Audio’s Cobalt Type II tape, manufactured in Springfield, MO, has replaced chrome in our packaged 799 Studio Master cassettes because chrome tape can no longer be made because of environmental reasons.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
They need to make a C90, or better still a C100.
I agree on the C90. But a C60 is good enough to have fun with. Keep in mind, these are going to be limited production...

Various Denon C100's are still plentiful in the wild and they are a quality product that have stood the test of time.

+ TDK SA-X standard or Limited C100's are relatively plentiful too! ( the Limited ones actually perform better than the SA-XG's because of the shell construction...)

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The SAs are running around $10 these days.

I’d like to get one or two to play with, but I’m not inclined to buy ten of them.

That is, unless they have suddenly surpassed the tapes of old, when competition drove innovation.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The Mk. II has more internal adjustments for biasing each tape type and considered by many as “the best” of the 122 series.

But I’ve not found the Mk. III to be lacking here in actual use. There is fine bias and gain adjustments on the front and I’ve not used a tape yet I couldn’t dial in.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Well the Mk III has a number of less than excellent items to mention and one of them, is lack of adjustments as above but it also uses a gear transport that the Gear C is cracking due to the crummy damping grease they put into them. So the Mk III requires a total tear down to get out all the bad grease and then resoldering of the audio board. Often times the balanced/ unbalanced switch is dirty or broken. I have them in stock now. The ANT mod to the mute circuit is needed and there are some 4066 improvements that can be applied. I work on them but they are NOT the better deck.
A lot of then have messed with and goofed up head positions. Too many yahoos think they can make them better. One guy asked me where to get the azimuth screw for these as his students are constantly adjusting the deck- I told him to take all drivers away fro those students as they are not qualified to do that. No, I did not tell him where the screws come from and I have them here.