Taking the Plunge Into the WOPL 400-II Pool

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Turns out the cable is indeed imported but seems to do the job just fine. I will source some of that higher quality teflon coax cable, as I'm sure I will have future projects that will need upgrading.

The wood panels do add a nice touch - I also have the matching set for the 2000-II. I will take them off to fit the amp back into the rack at some point

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Absolutely correct George. Unless you have an adjustable depth cable insulation stripper that's the only way to go. I have one of those high dollar strippers I use in my day job and it saves me a ton of time and considerable feet of SO cord..

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks for that Belden number, George. I was searching ebay and found only brown jacketed wire when searching for M17/113-RG316. Not sure if the color makes a difference...manufacturer is Harbour, apparently out of Vermont. I will get some of that Belden wire for sure.

Out of curiosity ... would this same cable be a superior interconnect between system components, assuming you had the patience to find and attach male RCA connectors at each end?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yes you can buy interconnects already terminated. My BNC connections for test equipment all use this wire. Much less bulky and the performance is top notch.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Most time the RG316 has a clear jacket so you can see the copper braid underneath, gives it that brownish gold appearance.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Awesome info...again! Seems RCA connectors for RG316 are not very common, but pre-made cables do exist and are on the pricey end. And then there are the debates for which RG coax to use. Gotta love the web, if only there were a BS filter to differentiate between fact&fiction, passion&hype. Let your ears be the judge?

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Awesome info...again! Seems RCA connectors for RG316 are not very common, but pre-made cables do exist and are on the pricey end. And then there are the debates for which RG coax to use. Gotta love the web, if only there were a BS filter to differentiate between fact&fiction, passion&hype. Let your ears be the judge?
I go with what Joe, Mark, Lee, Perry and the others recommend. RG-316 seems to be the consensus for use inside the amps, so I got Belden because it's a trusted brand, and that particular part# because it's mil-spec and high temp. As for interconnects, I use Monoprice Monolith, but really can't tell any difference between them and old skinny Radio Shack cheapies. Sometimes I think the Monoliths are too "smooth" sounding. To me, my money could have been spent better elsewhere.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Agree 100% with you, George (and have learned quite a bit from reading the wisdom of Joe, Mark, Lee, Perry, et al - in this community). Not familiar with Monoprice, but I will have a look at their wares. I should have mentioned that I ordered that Belden 83284 .. will re-open the 400 and make that change.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I bought a large amount of Tara-Labs patch cords from the Larrt when he was alive....60.00 for a 3 ft pair. And the was a noticable difference from the monster cables and cheapies.

George S.

I've only have two Monster Cables. They are DVI cables for desktop to monitor. Bought them at Radio Shack because I needed them quick. I hate those things! Cable is twice the needed diameter, hard to bend, just a pain.
The Monoprice Monolith interconnects are similar, thick and stiff.
If that RG-316 is good for interconnects, then it may be worthwhile to make our own. Remnant spools come up cheap every now and then. Shouldn't be that hard.

George S.

Hmmm, bet Amphenal makes them. Going to do some research tomorrow. Really want the solid brass solder type with the integral strain relief spring. But it needs to sized for the cable. No crimps.

Last edited:

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Unless there's another source or catalog of their connectors, this was all I could find for either brand:
https://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=1006
http://www.amphenolaudio.com/products/rca/m-series/

There are number of pre-made cables with RCA ends from offshore sources, but none that feature the Belden or USA-made cables. I had even found at least one source of RG-316 specific RCA ends, but quality is TBD. To me, this style of crimp connector, made for RG-316, would be most desirable. There are many options for RF connectors with RG-316, but I don't want to put on a BNC end, and then an adapter to RCA male.

https://www.rfsupplier.com/rca-plug-male-connector-straight-crimp-for-rg316_p7187.html Not sure how long shipping from the other side of the planet would take to arrive, assuming their lowest-cost option.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I forgot this one...Belden makes various connectors for coax cable, which includes RCA make ends, but only for RG59, RG-6, and RG-11. Maybe they don't consider RJ-316 to be a viable option for RCA/audio connectivity? Seems odd they'd exclude '316, but I'm sure they have reasons. Maybe the public has become accustomed to "fat" cables like Monster as being "good" somehow and skinny RG-316 is not appealing ! (JK)

https://info.belden.com/hubfs/resou...s-compression-connectors-product-bulletin.pdf