Sutt's "Fugly One" WOPL Transformation

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I had 2 700 wopl kits sitting here and decided while there was a lull in the action, I'd build the boards. It will save me a buttload of time when I start to put these last 2 amps together. I always get the itch when I see other amps getting built. I never tire of them and I know your amp will be a killer when Jer is done with it. I caught the mail lady on her way through the ghetto so it wont take long to get the switch. Just got to put a few caps on the boards and the 2 pair of back planes are done. I got a gorgeous 700II sitting here I took in as a trade for a new WOPL and I think that will be the next project. Now...... must start the 2 control boards............. Or have a couple beers. Haven't had one in about a week which aint like me....

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I'm intrigued by the looks of the 700 II. I'm guessing the b and the II are exactly the same amp after being WOPLed... excepting cosmetics..

Were there way fewer IIs produced? As usual, I want two of each...or more..

In the past, with earlier versions of Joe's genious work, I thought the 400 sounded "sweeter" than the 700... Is that no longer the case? I know this is highly subjective as measurements don't always agree with perception.

Sorry to get off topic....and ramble...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yep, Once WOPL'd they're all the same except cosmetics... Well, if you want 2 700 II's.... It just so happens...... Ha

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I used to be a 700B or nothing kinda guy but with the advent of the new meters boards, I'll take the II. If ya lose a meter on a B, it can be nearly impossible to get another. Don't know the numbers made. There is no shortage of either but I tend to get more II's in than B's.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
I think I'm a "II" guy. Love the looks. Sigh.. someday LOL.

Hey Sutt. the handles made to NY today.. woohoo. Half your xformer is out back on the deck, drying... well, not really half, just the back plate with the PL badge taped off. Did a little bit of assy tonight but going to save the majority of what's left for the weekend.

Off to clean the nasty ole spooge off the heatsinks...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I had 2 700 wopl kits sitting here and decided while there was a lull in the action, I'd build the boards. It will save me a buttload of time when I start to put these last 2 amps together. I always get the itch when I see other amps getting built. I never tire of them and I know your amp will be a killer when Jer is done with it. I caught the mail lady on her way through the ghetto so it wont take long to get the switch. Just got to put a few caps on the boards and the 2 pair of back planes are done. I got a gorgeous 700II sitting here I took in as a trade for a new WOPL and I think that will be the next project. Now...... must start the 2 control boards............. Or have a couple beers. Haven't had one in about a week which aint like me....
Have a couple of beers...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I can't wait to have another 700b done with the latest revisions...

I'll take two 700 II's since I'll have two 700b's. .just to balance stuff out .. but Ill have several early version 400's and a few 700b early revisions to sell........I guess....since we are dreaming..

and I've already had a few beers...

I am dreaming..... I think I'd like the 700 II meters.... but IDK...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
did anybody ever find good number for the volume pots?? I thought we did but I can't find the number and I need a pair.