Specifications

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Ask Joe, aka "Gepetto", for specs on a White Oak Audio Designs PL400. He is the owner of that business.
For specs on a stock PL400, download a service manual.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Hmmm… 16kW into an ohm… we’re gonna need more power on the supply side.

So, if an amp produced 1000 watts into 8 ohm load, and we double as impedance halves, we need a lot of power.

1000w/8ohm is reasonable but being able to properly support it is not. The power supply would have to be quite robust and I think a 220v supply would be mandatory.

Probably not the sort of thing you think about Joe, but how would you handle such a challenge?

Parallel amps for each channel might help (four amps for stereo; balanced line in) but that’s complicated. But, even if two amps, I think four chassis will be needed due to power supply mass and heat sink area needed.

Worlds first amp on wheels with remote control to move it? I imagine we’d be over 300# weight per channel.

Edit- remote water cooling. Radiator with fan and a small circulation pump to pull heat away, into another room so the noise of the fans does not distract.

mlucitt

Jim,
I built a 1000W mono amp rated for 8 Ohms a few years ago, it was a guitar amp so the circuit was not audiophile quality, but it did put out 90 Volts into an 8 Ohm dummy load. The toroid transformer was huge and very heavy, I think it was 35 pounds. The amplifier had a soft start circuit and when running at full power did not trip the 15 Amp breaker. The massive heat sinks would get warm, I had to lower the volume coming from the JBL speaker stack due to the pain threshold, so it never had a chance to get really hot.

I believe a well-engineered power supply could support a 1000W stereo audiophile-quality amplifier capable of 8 Ohm loads, but it will be very heavy. The Phase Linear Dual 500 fits into this category. You could also consider a class D 1000 Watt switching amp that weighs 6 ounces and fits in your hand. They sell them on ebay every day...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think if we remain biased in class A for the first 200 watts or so, the switching distortion will not be audible as it switches into class B...

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Hmmm… 16kW into an ohm… we’re gonna need more power on the supply side.

So, if an amp produced 1000 watts into 8 ohm load, and we double as impedance halves, we need a lot of power.

1000w/8ohm is reasonable but being able to properly support it is not. The power supply would have to be quite robust and I think a 220v supply would be mandatory.

Probably not the sort of thing you think about Joe, but how would you handle such a challenge?

Parallel amps for each channel might help (four amps for stereo; balanced line in) but that’s complicated. But, even if two amps, I think four chassis will be needed due to power supply mass and heat sink area needed.

Worlds first amp on wheels with remote control to move it? I imagine we’d be over 300# weight per channel.

Edit- remote water cooling. Radiator with fan and a small circulation pump to pull heat away, into another room so the noise of the fans does not distract.
AAND… With a Yoko Ono record, you could wipe out half of the North Korean army in three minutes!