speaker refoam

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
I am getting ready to have a pair of woofers refoamed the dust caps are smashed. I have all the parts I know that you do not all ways have to remove the dust cap to do the job. my question is dose it matter what order you do the job in. change the dust caps first or the other way around

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Those 15s are easy to refoam. For the dustcaps, I try to stick the tip of a pin in the cap sideways and try to pull the dent out. Can't do that with the aluminum dust caps. The felt dust caps on the CV have no effect on cone alignment, so it will not matter which you do first. I would try and fix the original dust caps, replacing them will never be as good as the originals. But if you choose to replace them, you have to cut them out and re-glue the slightly larger replacement dustcaps over the old glue line. I just don't like that look.
The foam is more critical in alignment. Cut off the cardboard gasket by slicing it away from the frame, keep it for re-use. Once you get all the old foam cut away from the speaker cone with a new razor blade, get the rest off of the speaker frame. Apply the glue to the top edge of the speaker cone and center the few foam using the old foam edge as a guide. Let that dry.
The foam should be resting slightly above the speaker frame. Then apply the glue to the speaker frame. Lift the cone up from the bottom and make sure the voice coil is not rubbing, lift it up and down a few times to make sure it is centered then pull it down into position. The glue will grab but not permanently. Push on the face of the cone to make sure it is not rubbing, if it is re-position and try again. If its good, tap it down all the way around. Add some more glue and attach the gasket. make sure the holes align and then turn the speaker over and set it on the bench until the glue dries.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
Those 15s are easy to refoam. For the dustcaps, I try to stick the tip of a pin in the cap sideways and try to pull the dent out. Can't do that with the aluminum dust caps. The felt dust caps on the CV have no effect on cone alignment, so it will not matter which you do first. I would try and fix the original dust caps, replacing them will never be as good as the originals. But if you choose to replace them, you have to cut them out and re-glue the slightly larger replacement dustcaps over the old glue line. I just don't like that look.
The foam is more critical in alignment. Cut off the cardboard gasket by slicing it away from the frame, keep it for re-use. Once you get all the old foam cut away from the speaker cone with a new razor blade, get the rest off of the speaker frame. Apply the glue to the top edge of the speaker cone and center the few foam using the old foam edge as a guide. Let that dry.
The foam should be resting slightly above the speaker frame. Then apply the glue to the speaker frame. Lift the cone up from the bottom and make sure the voice coil is not rubbing, lift it up and down a few times to make sure it is centered then pull it down into position. The glue will grab but not permanently. Push on the face of the cone to make sure it is not rubbing, if it is re-position and try again. If its good, tap it down all the way around. Add some more glue and attach the gasket. make sure the holes align and then turn the speaker over and set it on the bench until the glue dries.
thanks
I all ready tryd to pull them back out but they are pushed all the way in. I agree I would rather not change the dust caps I am going to rry your idea and also a shop-vac if it dose not work they will have to be changed

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
I think you are right I got them from the 2nd owner who had them for most of there life. I am also going to have the crossovers recaped

mlucitt

If you replace the felt dust caps you can do that. But some of us have refoamed or replaced the surround on so many Vega's and JBL's, we just have the "touch". The 18" Vega's are the easiest to do because that huge cone and suspension are so stiff.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
I did a set of 12” CV speakers. Used shims to center the voice coils.

I have seen your video before some times depending on the glue you need to shim the coil if it is slow if it is fast or medium you do not all ways need to shim the coil. also if you still have those run them on 700 when it is finished.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
If you replace the felt dust caps you can do that. But some of us have refoamed or replaced the surround on so many Vega's and JBL's, we just have the "touch". The 18" Vega's are the easiest to do because that huge cone and suspension are so stiff.
+1 on this

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I have seen your video before some times depending on the glue you need to shim the coil if it is slow if it is fast or medium you do not all ways need to shim the coil. also if you still have those run them on 700 when it is finished.
Since I’ve never refoamed a woofer before I thought it best to follow the provided instructions. A freind of mine saw this vid and bought the kit for an 8” 2-way system for refoaming- for this pair, I didn’t shim or replace the cap- and they worked just fine.

For my own sense of mechanical precision, I’d rather do the shims and dust cap, and know for certain that they’re mechanically correct. I’m more than just a bit OCD about stuff like this, even if it may be a bit “overkill.”

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
Since I’ve never refoamed a woofer before I thought it best to follow the provided instructions. A freind of mine saw this vid and bought the kit for an 8” 2-way system for refoaming- for this pair, I didn’t shim or replace the cap- and they worked just fine.

For my own sense of mechanical precision, I’d rather do the shims and dust cap, and know for certain that they’re mechanically correct. I’m more than just a bit OCD about stuff like this, even if it may be a bit “overkill.”
nothing wrong with that
I think this is also a good idea

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
If you have a shop vac you can try sucking the dust caps out, but if you are refoaming tou have to make sure the voice coils are centered other wise you may get a case of speaker buzz

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline