Soniphase SL6

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
Building a pair of Soniphase SL6 folded horns. Designed by Dana Moore and this is his latest design. Suppose to be able to destroy your house with these. Have EVX-155 1000 watt drivers in them. Grand daughter wants them for a playhouse. All the 3/4 inch 13 ply Baltic Birch was cut on a Laser with +/- .002 tolerance which makes it a breeze to assemble them. More to come as I continue building them.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Just so happens , I have an amp that can test that claim. 4 or 8 ohm Mark??

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
The EVX-155 are 8 ohm. The 5th picture is 4 pcs of 3/4 glued together to form part of the throat wedge that seperates the horn from the tuned reflex ports. Will be in the next set of pictures

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Standard bar clamps, lipped off before I resized the pic. Nice bar clamps.

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
1.99 at Harbor Freight. Every time I go there I come home with twice the stuff I went to get. Mostly Chinese S%$# but you get what you pay for.

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Its a 2500 watt CO2 laser which cuts up to 300 inches per minute on 3/4 in wood. It has 24 large vacuum tubes in it.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
JESUS DUDE!!!! That's some involved woodworking!!! Lookin good, Can't hardly wait!!!

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Almost done, Almost 200 screws in each one. Had to put it all together to check alignment and take it apart and glue everything together and put it all back together again. Thank God for powered tools

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Those sure are pretty - looking forward to seeing them completed. The tolerances you're holding are amazing for woodworking. More pictures please!

I'll just have to assume that the laser cutter is not in your garage. :cool:

Thanks for sharing - Dennis

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Great work Mark, did you CAD model the wooden parts before you fed it to the laser? SolidWorks or ProE?

I have converted to designing/modeling my wood projects in SolidWorks before I start cutting wood. Easier to find your mistakes on the screen before making them in wood.

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Joe, I had my head designer do it in Solidworks. Found a few mistakes in the print once we laid it out on the CAD. Burned all the screw holes and all the angles so when I put it together it fit like a glove. The laser is so accurate that once you put it together you cannot see any light anywhere in the joined pieces. Once I glued it together there was no need for any silicone sealant anywhere.