SOLD ! For sale Nakamichi BX-300 with new wireless remote

@Elite-ist by the way my Teac does not like those BASF chrome extras, or chrome supers. It likes everything else but them, and they just sound distorted on playback, no matter where I set the recording level.

The A&D on the other hand records them very well.
Tricky little buggers.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
True chrome tapes are tricky and decks that didn’t exist when those tapes did often have a hard time with them (unless you adjust internally for them-fine bias won’t do it)

J!m

Tagline
BOT
If they are true chrome- which would be an early tape- need to be biased and EQ’d for the tape. Not much different than setting up an open reel for the intended tape. The cassette convenience necessitated tape (type) swapping convenience as well. Absolute performance is compromised for convenience. No different than comparing a street car with a race car. The race car will be the best driving thing it can be; but the street car has compromises and cannot drive like a race car does.

True chrome tapes were basically extinct by the mid-80’s. I have never (then or now) used one. And I’m just assuming that is a true chrome because I am aware they are not “user friendly” with newer decks.

If they are true chrome- which would be an early tape- need to be biased and EQ’d for the tape. Not much different than setting up an open reel for the intended tape. The cassette convenience necessitated tape (type) swapping convenience as well. Absolute performance is compromised for convenience. No different than comparing a street car with a race car. The race car will be the best driving thing it can be; but the street car has compromises and cannot drive like a race car does.

True chrome tapes were basically extinct by the mid-80’s. I have never (then or now) used one. And I’m just assuming that is a true chrome because I am aware they are not “user friendly” with newer decks.
I understand what you're saying and I don't think this is a true chrome tape, and Nando informed me that the true chromes smell like crayons. That is true because I started smelling some of my tapes, and you can definitely tell the true chromes from the non true.

I think these are a later formula and do not believe they are a true chrome, and the true chrome tapes are the ones my Teac likes. Because as you pointed out it's from the right era so it only makes sense that tapes and decks from the same era sound better together.

back in the day I was never into it like I am now, so it's kind of fun learning.

Last edited:
BASF actually made true chromium dioxide tapes well into the 90s, I just did a little research online.

All of mine have that crayon smell so they must be legit. Funny that the Teac does not record them well, because that's from the early to mid 80s, and my other deck which was from the late 80s records them very well.

I'd like to try another brand of a pure chromium dioxide tape, but I don't know enough about them to know which one to pick. Maybe one of you guys would help me out.

are all the chromium dioxide tapes as tricky as the BASF ones to record?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Nando probably knows better but I think Fuji had one and Sony did as well.

Very early TDK had one that didn’t last long (SA took off running in that slot) and probably stupid money if you find one. Not sure of the designation on that one either.

NavLinear

Cool video and some nice lookers too. I spent a few years in Italy (mid seventies) so I experienced the Italian disco scene in its heyday. Thanks for posting this video.

borchee

Journeyman
Cool video and some nice lookers too. I spent a few years in Italy (mid seventies) so I experienced the Italian disco scene in its heyday. Thanks for posting this video.
Ah, I'm a selfish SOB - thanks to you and @overmodulated, I've spun my tape-counter to my teenages. Hope you enjoy the deck.

BTW...are there any she-members here? Anyway, here's what you should play to the lady of your heart (off course, "my" reffers to "borchee's" :love3:):