So I Got My PL 700, Now What?

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Me ole Onkyo P3300. If I recall, I did juice it a little with some LM4562's on the output. Didn't sound half bad when I pulled it out of mothballs earlier...
Nice - I hope this all works out.

What's up with all the 3300 pre amps? PL, Marantz and now Onkyo. Nice stuff though.

Richard D

Journeyman
Tagline
---
So I hooked her up to a preamp. Thanks jbeckva!
My amp still sounds like shit! I don't mean, snobby gotta have a
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Clearaudio Statement Turntable, pushing Magico Ultimates. I mean, my garage sale Technics pushing $200 Bose 901 sound fine, (not great) but this PL700 sounds terrible![/FONT] Distorted as Hell, only one channel playing. What's my next step?

NavLinear

So I hooked her up to a preamp. Thanks jbeckva!
My amp still sounds like shit! I don't mean, snobby gotta have a
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Clearaudio Statement Turntable, pushing Magico Ultimates. I mean, my garage sale Technics pushing $200 Bose 901 sound fine, (not great) but this PL700 sounds terrible![/FONT] Distorted as Hell, only one channel playing. What's my next step?
Richard,

At a minimum you should photo document what's inside this beast. These guys will kick ass without mods but if you take it further...

I'm thinking that Lee has a good point - get someone on it that can do it some justice. If that's not the direction you want to go in you still have the option to use Epay to rectify this.

Nav

Richard D

Journeyman
Tagline
---
There's no way I can dissect this thing myself, I'm a total dummy when it comes to simmple electricity, let alone electronics. I want someone who knows his shit to look at it and say it's bad before I hassle the seller. This thing is 30-40 years old, maybe the seller didn't mean to screw me. I don't want to give him a bad rap for no reason. I'm not going to give negative ebay feedback until it is examined by someone "in the know". That's just how I roll. Hey, that kinda rhymes.
Richard,

At a minimum you should photo document what's inside this beast. These guys will kick ass without mods but if you take it further...

I'm thinking that Lee has a good point - get someone on it that can do it some justice. If that's not the direction you want to go in you still have the option to use Epay to rectify this.

Nav

NavLinear

There's no way I can dissect this thing myself, I'm a total dummy when it comes to simmple electricity, let alone electronics. I want someone who knows his shit to look at it and say it's bad before I hassle the seller. This thing is 30-40 years old, maybe the seller didn't mean to screw me. I don't want to give him a bad rap for no reason. I'm not going to give negative ebay feedback until it is examined by someone "in the know". That's just how I roll. Hey, that kinda rhymes.
I'd recommend Lee - aka Lattsch55. He's dug into many a Phase Linear amplifier and made them sing again - and he has an ass ton of PL stuff in his stash.

Damn - forgot to mention Jer. Looks like he's taking this one on. You're in good hands Richard.

Last edited:

Richard D

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I'd recommend Lee - aka Lattsch55. He's dug into many a Phase Linear amplifier and made them sing again - and he has an ass ton of PL stuff in his stash.
I think Lee's a bit busy, but I will be wanting someone to give this ol' girl a much deserved makeover. Who's listening?HELP! HELP!!! SOS!!!

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
If you just want a fix of what's wrong and not a total uprade and restoration, that won't take that long. If Jer won't do it I will.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
If you just want a fix of what's wrong and not a total uprade and restoration, that won't take that long. If Jer won't do it I will.
I got it... yeah but heck man... let's say I find 3 or so outputs shorted on one channel. It would be foolish not to replace all with MJ's, as it'd be a matter of time before the other half bad/ready to go bad outputs return the favor of sticking around..

We'll see tho when it gets here and I give it a good once over...