Scratchy left channel

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Yes, at punishing sound pressures. Reminds me of what George from Oz once brought up. He said, "Has anyone tried to make their system sound really, really good at a very low volume?" He's a former sound man, hasn't been here for a while.
I think about that often. Thinking active crossovers, and multiple amps are key. Will get there eventually.
Of course, nothing wrong with a 700 powering big JBLs or whatever boxes to the limits on good Rock. Yep, lots of head room on that 700.
Go outside and do yard work and enjoy the music, just don't piss off the neighbors or blow the speakers. To me that's where a 700 WOPL shines, 400 WOPL for normal to loud listening.
But think of active crossovers and three 400 WOPLs powering a three way speaker system and perhaps a 4th WOPL on the subs. Superior to a single 700 driving normal crossovers in every way.
A 700 would actually be slightly inferior to a 400 in such a system as each additional output adds a tiny amount of distortion.
Maybe someday I'll get my tri-amped JBLs and stereo subs system finished. One more amp to build and then rewire the speakers, along with some house wiring work.
Gene just needs to WOPL some 400 amps to finish his. Later!

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Yes, at punishing sound pressures. Reminds me of what George from Oz once brought up. He said, "Has anyone tried to make their system sound really, really good at a very low volume?" He's a former sound man, hasn't been here for a while.
I think about that often. Thinking active crossovers, and multiple amps are key. Will get there eventually.
Of course, nothing wrong with a 700 powering big JBLs or whatever boxes to the limits on good Rock. Yep, lots of head room on that 700.
Go outside and do yard work and enjoy the music, just don't piss off the neighbors or blow the speakers. To me that's where a 700 WOPL shines, 400 WOPL for normal to loud listening.
But think of active crossovers and three 400 WOPLs powering a three way speaker system and perhaps a 4th WOPL on the subs. Superior to a single 700 driving normal crossovers in every way.
A 700 would actually be slightly inferior to a 400 in such a system as each additional output adds a tiny amount of distortion.
Maybe someday I'll get my tri-amped JBLs and stereo subs system finished. One more amp to build and then rewire the speakers, along with some house wiring work.
Gene just needs to WOPL some 400 amps to finish his. Later!
i enjoy getting the old stuff to run...it challenging and i have learned sooo much....but i know its not gonna be reliable....thats why i have my wopl...as this stuff craps out ..and i know it will ... i will upgrade little by little ... now that i have a spare 400...i can upgrade and have my music too!!!
i am seriously content with the system...thanks to the guys here...for holding my hand...

gene french

Tagline
AND FINALLY... HEADROOM
So you're coming in at an average of 0dB analog and -18dB digital. Perfect. But you still have 18dB left on each mixer channel... that is your headroom. Headroom is the space between the sweet spot and the distortion ceiling

George S.

Gene, WOPL a 700. Everyone should. Justify it by using it for subs, even though a 400 WOPL works excellent with the active crossover.
That 700 you bid on may have a bad meter, unobtainium. Time to walk the dog. 14 hour day at work today.

George S.

AND FINALLY... HEADROOM
So you're coming in at an average of 0dB analog and -18dB digital. Perfect. But you still have 18dB left on each mixer channel... that is your headroom. Headroom is the space between the sweet spot and the distortion ceiling
And, distortion blows speakers. If the 700 doesn't melt the voice coils before.

gene french

Tagline
Gene, WOPL a 700. Everyone should. Justify it by using it for subs, even though a 400 WOPL works excellent with the active crossover.
That 700 you bid on may have a bad meter, unobtainium. Time to walk the dog. 14 hour day at work today.
kinda what i had in mind ....
thank you...