Schlumberger CRC5043 oscilloscope

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
The story of my first oscilloscope, a 1975 Schlumberger CRC5043,
bought in 2009, I was beginner in electronics back then and didn't even had BNC cables ! also preferred using the B input as the A had some contact issues.
DSCN2330.JPG
Used a lot for testing audio equipment and some experiments with oscillators but it went bad in 2010.
8.JPG
Never managed to draw that while playing with the XY mode !
No manual available at time and less experience, read a lot of threads of several forums about electronics were guys suggested to replace all electrolytic capacitors.
Replaced them but the "8" was still here and still not found any manual, except a dude in a French forum who wanted to sell me a copy done with an inkjet printer for 150€ ! so I left the unit it in the basement in the "unfixable shelf".

Then came across an ebay auction in 2015 with a working CRC5043, a probe and the original service manual for less than 100€.
Works better than the first one, but it also went bad after a year of light use (got an Hameg HM-203 and use it as a main scope) but thank to schematics it was an easy fix (+64V rail turned to -6V due to some bad diodes).
5043.JPG
Sometimes I took the first one out of the basement trying to fix it, with the service manual and now more experience in electronics I've found out that the LM723 regulator of the +12V rail were dead, goes the +21V instead.
But the +12V rail is reference for the other power supply rails so that raised all others and messed up the whole unit.
Followed the manual that said to power up the unit with the vertical & horizontal boards removed to check the voltages, not good at all, the tube gets all green and very luminous ! almost broke the wall outlet while unplugging !
Plugged the boards back, luminosity is too high so I had to mess with focus to not burn the tube, back to the "unfixable shelf" for some years.

Put a new LM723, +12V and -12V are back but the +64V is too low and +135V is too high and the luminosity is still too high.
Needed to find a way to measure the high voltage going to the tube (+3kV and -1.1kV).
Used a cheap method by making a more or less 11x attenuator with a 10MOhms resistor in series with a cheap multimeter with 1MOhms input impedance.
Tested with a 5kV electric fence generator, didn't get shocks and seen 400V pulses, seems to be fine, after testing with mains voltage it appears to have 11.4x of attenuation. 20230714_214526.jpg
In action, makes nice sparks.
High voltage was too high, almost +4500V and -2200V, that's why luminosity was too high.
That was due to a shorted transistor in the high voltage regulation loop.
Also two open capacitors in the -1100V rail, maybe due to the over voltage.
Also found another open capacitor and two dead transistors in the +135V area.

Replaced these bad components and now I got a trace !
20230716_213149.jpg
Took me almost 13 years !
Now I need to fix the bad contacts of the vertical amp & time base switches.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
nice brand there!

I own an old Schlumberger Solartron 7150 plus digital multimeter (got it because of an advice by Alex/ANT) and am just happy with it!
I use it mostly to measure AC True RMS and it does it very nicely on all the audio frequency spectrum and above, in fact I can happily measure also bias voltages.

I am not in a hurry to get an oscilloscope because, when i need it, i simply go down to my brother's laboratory who has a nice oldschool Tektronix 2235 and also a new digital one, but i definitely prefer the good old analog Tek!

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
Cleaned the switches of the vertical amp.
20230722_195446.jpg
20230722_223951.jpg

@Vince, I didn't knew the Solartron 7150, nice & interesting unit.
I do have a Tektronix 7904 but it has some power supply problems and bad connections with the plugins, tried to fix once but it's far more complex.

@Kyle, Schlumberger has several divisions and sub companies who makes a lot of industrial equipment.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
The ad is written in some ancient code I'm not familiar with..
Yes, but my 1978 Sony/Tektronix scope would be easier for me to use if the panel had the same markings at this Schlumberger. I got a lot of learning to do to make better use of the scope.