Sansui SC 5300

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Thanks Tony, I think I got this figured out. I raised hell about the dent in the back and went to the Reverb Support Team to see what they could do. The let me keep the deck, AND gave me ALLLL my money back. Outside if the ding in the back, the deck is all I need. It works perfect till it gets warmed up reel good (yup), and then the belts start slipping and it shuts off so I'll replace the belts and I have a free deck to play with. Just got to put some green LED's in the meters and it's good to go. :)

I will find a 122 MK II or MK III down the road, I'll keep my eyes and ears open for a nice one.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Thanks Tony, I think I got this figured out. I raised hell about the dent in the back and went to the Reverb Support Team to see what they could do. The let me keep the deck, AND gave me ALLLL my money back. Outside if the ding in the back, the deck is all I need. It works perfect till it gets warmed up reel good (yup), and then the belts start slipping and it shuts off so I'll replace the belts and I have a free deck to play with. Just got to put some green LED's in the meters and it's good to go. :)

I will find a 122 MK II or MK III down the road, I'll keep my eyes and ears open for a nice one.
Glad to hear you got some well deserved respect from the Reverb team. Heard a lot of good things about that site.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Glad to hear you got some well deserved respect from the Reverb team. Heard a lot of good things about that site.
It took them long enough. I can't complain about anything else though. I got to find me a reel to reel now. That Tascam 42-NB was a fricken awesome machine when I finished it and I should have never sold it.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Popped the top on this Sansewer deck, replaced the belts, cleaned and lubed the transport reassembled and I'm gonna take one of these tapes and play with the deck for a bit. All said and done, I got 20 bucks and 2 labor hours into the deck. Can't hardly tell there was a dent in the back. Most of it pushed out.

5330d.jpg 5330c.jpg 5330a.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
SHIT!!! Glad it looks nice. Looks like the top is coming back off. I started recording a tape for test purposes from my IPOD to the deck and it shut down after about a half hour. I'll check it out later. probably the DC motor getting warm(???) maybe........ Time to dig out the laser thermometer and monitor some shit. Probably run all day with the top off so it might be time for disco destruction. Just got to keep it running long enough to get my H&K .40 out.

It's not like I have other shit to do right?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
If it’s dumping the head, that’s probably something with the auto stop- too much tape tension, or improper lubrication (too much, too little, wrong type) somewhere.

That’s a big box to heat up in only 30 minutes.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Auto stop was malfunctioning in two or three cassette decks that passed through my hands.

In those cases it was a rubber idler tire that lost its grip.

I was able to get square profile rubber O rings with proper ID’s & OD’s that got auto stop working again. Getting at the hubs to re & re O rings was a bit of a bear.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
That was a problem on my Kenwood but only FF and REW auto stop. Play was holding and working well.

They are all a little different… Perry: do you have the service manual? If not, try hi-fi engine.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Dropping the head away from the tape- stopping play unexpectedly.

Well, it just stops playing, power stays on. Have not had time to dick with it, I'm putting up cabinets and had to work on the chicks Equinox but I'll look into it soon. I also want to build this 700B into a WOPL too and have a 400 chassis from Joe showing up and need parts for that. The deck may take a back burner for a while (or I can spend a moment and shoot it with the HK)

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
Hey WOPL Sniffer,

I took the liberty of downloading your photo & then running it through Picasa.**

Spent a total of maybe 90 seconds playing with the photo -- the deck is a beauty, and I wanted to see if I could get a better look-see with some photo tuning: Perry Sansui(best).jpg
That's a handsome cassette deck!

3D

PS -- **Picasa was originally freeware from Google - you could use it standalone on your PC and/or upload your photos 'into the cloud' so you could access them from all your devices, share them w/others, blah blah blah. Well, Google has since retired Picasa...but you can still download the standalone-only version of it here. (Of course Photoshop is the be all, end all version of photo editing software for pros, but currently you can only rent it (~$31 month, or $240/yr) instead of buying it outright. :0(

On the other hand, I've been scraping by on Picasa since it was originally released in '02, so given what it can do, the cost avoidance over the past 2 decades has been both nontrivial & welcome. (It's been invaluable to me for cropping/correcting lighting issues/organizing photos/etc.)

Again, *nice deck*.