Sansui SC 5300

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
anybody have any experience with Sansui (Sansui SC 5300)? I would like to eventually add a deck (in black of course) to my old skule system and am looking for a great deck at a great price and it has to be near mint condition but it can need work. If not this, any suggestions (But must meet MY criteria).

This is my style:

Must be close to the TOTL or THE TOTL
Black
Less than $1000
NEAR PERFECT condition
120V or dual voltage

sansui deck.jpg

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Don't see that model of Sansui come up for sale, so I had to look it up. The SC-5300/5330 would be a nice match to your Sansui tuner.

Nando.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Don't see that model of Sansui come up for sale, so I had to look it up. The SC-5300/5330 would be a nice match to your Sansui tuner.

Nando.
I couldn't find a review but agree it would match great. I see they made it in silver too.

Elite-ist

Staff member
This is the Black Beast I recently purchased for $650. It's tough to find one, now. It's a Pioneer CT-A9X:

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks, Ben. If you are into black and TOTL offerings from Pioneer this would be one of the top 5 to own.

Mix tape recorded by Shaun from the UK:

Click on image to play video:

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Hey Nando. Sweet deck.

What's your thoughts on the BLE function for that model?

(I know you like manual over-rides and such, but I'm curious how that vintage of BLE works on say - a Sony XR...)

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I've had a boatload of BLE/Auto BLE decks of lesser stature and they seem to do a pretty decent job of utilizing your tape for a great recording.

You do realize that they do something you really can't do, and that is analyzing the characteristics of the tape electronically (some recorded a test and checked and others didn't need to IIIRC) and then set the Bias, Levels and Equalization accordingly.

I can manually adjust all of that on my Onkyo TA-2060 but it's more of a chore than a real help.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Tony: I will have to start another thread about the CT-A9X. I have yet to do my first recording with it.

Nando.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Look for a Denon DN-790R. I bought mine from Matt aka Des Labs several years ago, I put some beyond 'super grip' cables on it and messed up the jacks. I sent it to Jer to fix, he liked it so much he bought one as well!! Dolby B,C and S, makes awesome recordings, 3-head, auto tape level and bias set that you can tweek on the fly. Nice lookin' too!

Denon DN-790R.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

Nando.

Well Nando, I waited... and waited and waited and finally found a black face Sansui SC-5300. It just needs new belts which I ordered. Any suggestion on a box of tapes for it? I was thinking of BASF Chrome II but I'm open for suggestions. I won't be using it a lot but I'd like to have some good tape for when I do.

sansui SC-5300.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Nice deck! I wouldn't use BASF Chrome II tape in that model of deck, but look for cassettes as recommended on pg. 12 of the SC-5300 OM.

hfe_sansui_sc-5300_5330_en_de_fr.pdf

Nando.

I know squat about cassette tapes. I had a deck maybe 30 years ago and don't remember what I used. I suppose some Maxell UD XL II's????