Sansui 9090DB

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Well, after 32 years the Sansui is finally going to need a tune up. This week it started acting up when I powered it on so last night I decided it was finally time to unplug it until it can have alittle personal attention and before it wipes out something much more expensive. Hopefully all that it really needs is a cap job but if not after 1664 weeks of operations it certainly rates a best buy!

In the mean time that Pioneer from Lee has proudly taken its place on the shelf.

Robert

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Hey Robert, Those are a PIA to work on, with all those boards in there (some for the unuseable Dolby functions for the tuner). Good Luck with her :thumbright:

I never cared for the looks of those big 'Sui's with the different color meters for the power output and the tuner meters, just my opinion :ugeek:

Now those big G series, man those are purty :D

That was a heck of a lot of good use out of a fine vintage receiver. They are a bit of a challenge to work on but that makes it fun :thumbleft:

I do agree with Stuw as I prefer the look and sound of the big G's but there is nothing wrong with the 9090/DB. Sometimes I wish I still had my G9000DB with the real mahogany veneer.

Let us know what caps and parts you choose and post up pick of the work if ya can. Might be a good time to relamp also while you have it apart. Maybe go to LED...?

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Robert, please don't think I'm dissin' your nice rig, I can be a bit blunt sometimes :oops:

styx has a nice Sansui set up

This forum leans kinda heavy on the Pioneer's and Phase Linear's, so anything diff is way cool!!

Some folks think my SAE gear is ugly, but I don't care :mrgreen:

Attachments

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Guys,

I can see things are much the same here... :)

Yep, everyone likes something different and that's good. No idea what the inside looks like as I have never taken the cover off. I thought about it several times but if it ain't broke, don't touch it!!! Most likely this will be a winter project. Ha, at the rate I am going just not sure what winter! Things have been so busy here the past couple months.

Robert

BeatleFred

New Around These Parts
The 9090DB is a very popular Sansui model. I have one in my collection. They still sell for good $$ on Ebay, especially restored ones, and the balc-face version from abroad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sansui- ... 43aa827902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its not surprsing at all that it needs some work after 32+ years. Most vintage amps do. But its well worth it. I bought a G-9000 from someone who totally upgraded it and it sounds Awesome! :)

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I know YOU'VE got them, Fred...

The G was my fault but I used it to get to the gang members holed up across the street and get tired of trying to avoid the cops all night.

The right channel blew at about the time they finally took the cuffing.

A machine gun could not do what 8-tracks and CHRIS LeDOUX, etc with my rapping on the mic input helped to do.

After going through this TWICE I wasn't messing around. All the thugs and those who loved them are gone and the landlord (my friend to start with) made certain it wouldn't happen again.

Yes, my G-5700 will be repaired ASAP and I have a Tektronix 465M in the corral now so it will be repaired, bionic or not.

I got pretty tired of waking up and finding nobody gave a damn to tell me and give me the option to go elsewhere a while.

I had no such option Jan. 1, 2006 when there was a drive-by (nobody harmed and the perp was caught after a chase) but at least the neighbor is a lot quieter now.

I've got the manual.

Do you use your sets in your Audio/Video setup? Which ones?

I had a lot of hassles changing bulbs in the 7070 (it's tight and a lot of disassembly) but I like light waveguides and the light bars in mid 70s Pioneer and Sansuis later.

I loved the three knob tone controls on 7070 though probably better than Pioneer's. I only wish I had learned some decent repair skills then.

styx

Journeyman
stuwee said:
Robert, please don't think I'm dissin' your nice rig, I can be a bit blunt sometimes :oops:

styx has a nice Sansui set up

This forum leans kinda heavy on the Pioneer's and Phase Linear's, so anything diff is way cool!!

Some folks think my SAE gear is ugly, but I don't care :mrgreen:
I love my G-7500 but would also love to find a 9090 as well...maybe one day. :roll:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi Robert,

That's an amazing run for your old stand-by through all these years! A Sansui 9090DB is a vintage receiver which has quite a following amongst collectors. I have a Sansui G series receiver which I would like to get more use of. It's not currently being used since acquiring it from a friend about 4 years ago.

Nando.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Nando,

Good to hear from you.... Yes, it was a good run. :) Hopefully when the snow arrives and I turn to indoor projects that it can be fixed fairly easy. My guess is that most of the caps and some of the resistors are well past their operating lifespan.

I am guessing your Sansui is in cherry condition like most of your collection. :)

Hope all is well with you!

Robert

Elite-ist

Staff member
rtp_burnsville said:
Hi Nando,

Good to hear from you.... Yes, it was a good run. :) Hopefully when the snow arrives and I turn to indoor projects that it can be fixed fairly easy. My guess is that most of the caps and some of the resistors are well past their operating lifespan.

I am guessing your Sansui is in cherry condition like most of your collection. :)

Hope all is well with you!

Robert
Hi Robert,

It's nice to see you back in the saddle. Any luck finding feet for your Pioneer turntable, yet? I know that Sansui 9090 receivers get snapped up immediately once they appear in local ads. That's a testament to their collectability. I would say: recondition the old girl for a new lease on life. I am not a winter lover, so I do the same as you - focus on indoor projects.

Now, Lee might think I'm a hoarder but the Sansui receiver and the rest of the system, including stand, were given to me by a friend who originally bought it in his college years, and wanted to dispose of it when they were undergoing home renovations. I just took in a few more orphans as a good man of the cloth would do. Oh, it's in beautiful condition, too!

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
You make it sound like I used the term "hoarder" in a bad way, au contraie' , IT IS a good thing, otherwise they would go to the orphanage!!

Elite-ist

Staff member
laatsch55 said:
You make it sound like I used the term "hoarder" in a bad way, au contraie' , IT IS a good thing, otherwise they would go to the orphanage!!
Lee: if there's a 12-step program for hoarders it can't be a good thing. Like you, I started culling the herd these past few months. But, I appreciate your back-pedaling on the subject. There's a little hoarder in all of us, isn't there?

Nando.