Rotel RQ-970BX Phono amp

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
FINALLY!!! I took a couple hours and tore the stereo apart, rewired and tied up the cables, and then, Took the Rotel for a test drive with my once played Queesryche album and I tell ya, it's was the best money I ever spent. IT SOUNDS AWESOME. Tie in the 700B Series II, the RL-11, and my Turntable with the Orto Black and I got a winner. I'm amazed. I guess I'll retire the Kenner Close N Play.

completed rotel1.jpg completed rotel2.jpg kenner.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Hell yeah, the 700B Series II, I do believe, is the only one that survived the prototype stage at PL. The guy that came up with the red, whit and blue meter lights was smoking Tied Stick at lunch. I told Skip when I get my Sansui G-7700 back from Brent in Texas, I'll sell the 700B II and he almost shit. Then I reminded him I still have another unbuilt 700B hiding under the dead bodies. Maybe I'll have the meter holes welded shut and come up with a new model. The guy fixing my Sansui (I have not had the time to work on it in over a year i think), Needed several sets of the Sansui 5000/5000A/5000X amplifier boards I designed (Joe gave me some help on a couple of questions/Parts subs) to restore about 5 of those receivers he has in the Que so I traded some populated boards for his labor of fixing the Protection issue on my G-7700. I had built up 25 pairs of boards so I had a stash so I could go on vacation to Mn and see the grandkids but who knows what the hell is going to happen over the next couple months. So the receiver went to Texas via Fedex this morning. I fixed several of the issues with it but no time for the last one. I fixed the missing display segments on the digital tuner readout, got one channel working, partially recapped it, put in some green LED's, etc.... The schematics that Sansui produced SUCK THE BAG. There are errors for the G-7700, and the 5000 and that's just the ones I've dealt with. They didn't even bother fixing the errors, they just came up with another model and fucked those skizmo's up too. Have to put up with it though. The Sansui receivers sound so nice that it makes you forget about pulling your hair out trying to fix em..... I want one with more power though. 125 watts is embarrassing. So, I'll sell the 700B II, sell the G-7700, sell the Krell, and move up a couple models, and then build my 700B Pro series III with green curb feelers and a built in 8 track. :) Time for another beer.........................

kwingylee

New Around These Parts
You got's to keep up bro. I went from a C1, to 4000T, TO A 4000T, TO A C1, TO A 4000T, to a C1, back to a 4000t, and then back to the Acurus RL-11 which has no Phono Section. So I picked up a Rotel RQ to make up for no Phono Section and did the upgrade to the Rotel..... :)
Are you implying that a fully upgrades 4000T is bested by an ACURUS preamp? The 4136 op amps are used in DACs like the Benchmark...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Aragon and Accurus were the work of Mark Levinson (well, his designers) and there is not a whole lot to upgrade inside them.

I intended to “improve” my Aragon 47k and the (sparse and massive trace size) board read like a who’s who of boutique parts. The only area of possible improvement is the huge yellow coupling caps. And the external power supply.

I believe Accurus used the same circuit but cut some corners on internal parts and put the power supply in the same box as the rest of it. That’s my understanding anyway.

I was actually looking into this just today…