replacement Phase Linear 5000 led tuner lamps (all 13)

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Phanatic, how do you route the preamp output to four PL700B amplifiers?
Mark,

At the risk of hijacking Russ’s thread; I will answer that question. (Russ, feel free to remove me at any time).

That was an old picture. I am using 8 PL700B’s now. One stack either side. The set up at that time was I had one set of those giant speakers already internally wired for biamping. So the preamp output was sent to an Electronic Bypass Filter (xover @400Hz) for the highs and lows. The top two amps acted as the HIGH amps and the Bottom two for the LOW amps. One RCA cable Y-jacked from the bypass filter to the 1st & 2nd amp for the highs and Y-jacked again at the bypass filter low outputs on to the 3rd & 4th bottom amps. Then a pair of those big black speakers was driven along the wall from each set of 700B’s. Internal to the speakers are passive 2-way crossover circuits for the (mids and highs) to handle the PL700B’s being driven by the High outputs from the filter. The woofers connect directly to the spkr binding posts since the low frequencies are being handled by the electronic crossover back at the pre-amp.

I have the topic of this in my own thread (link below) on my ongoing 2-Channel Speaker Design Project for this year. I Used AutoCAD Electrical 2021 to do the design in model space and get a sense of how I wanted everything laid out at the time.

https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/threads/davids-phase-linear-700b-thread.3786/page-37

These days I now use powered RCA Distribution amps with volume (gain) pots on each channel to control the overall gain of each amp. I run the RCA Outputs from the Electronic Xover Bypass Filter to two RCA distribution amps, (one for each stack of 700B’s) and from those; one nice RCA cable to each of the eight PL700B’s. That way, no more Y-jacks and no loss of signal. Add in Lee’s Recommended Acurus Preamp and my OPPO BDP-105 player I just installed today and my ears start crying and the neighbors are getting ready to call the cops. I say let em come. They’ll probably see the system and want to sit down and have a beer with me.

I hope that answers your question.

Russ, I wish I still knew the guy that sold me those custom LED’s for the PL5000 tuner of mine so you don’t have to use wire nuts. But seven years passing by; maybe making something custom like that wasn’t profitable enough anymore? He’s no longer around. Good thing I bought extras. I just had a gut feeling they’d be harder to get these days.

-PLP

59904CB9-A4CC-477B-915A-527CAF506B8D.jpeg
Phanatic, how do you route the preamp output to four PL700B amplifiers?

Last edited:

pennysdad

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
Yeh, that's how I'd do it. ;)
Do you have three phase with a distribution board to handle the 'slight' load... or do you just plug it all into the one socket? :eek:
Just messin' with ya of course.
I used to run something not too dissimilar back in the day although a little more rock'n'roll both at work and at home.

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Yeh, that's how I'd do it. ;)
Do you have three phase with a distribution board to handle the 'slight' load... or do you just plug it all into the one socket? :eek:
Just messin' with ya of course.
I used to run something not too dissimilar back in the day although a little more rock'n'roll both at work and at home.
Actually to answer that honestly, NO. One socket surely means house fire. The stack in the middle at the bottom has a power center dedicated to 2 amps per center. Those handle the turn-on sequencing and the time-delayd high current AC outputs. Each one of those then are connected to a dedicated 20 Amp circuit back at the house panel.

I had the whole home panel upgraded last year after we found the 40Amp HVAC breaker arcing to the center buss. (Breaker box had been there since the seventies). Replaced the whole damn thing. Bonus was the bigger breaker box with 4 new spare breakers. I used them immediatly of course.