Record Pucks, Clamps, Stabilizers

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
Anybody else use a record clamp with your vinyl? Been using this one for a while:

51MY1LQKlOL._SL1500_.jpg

Bren1

Can't remember where I got mine, but I didn't pay nearly that much for it. I would not recommend this one as it is a bit difficult to grab.

Last edited:

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I bought the el-cheapo one on Eprey. I think it too light for a clamp. Need a heavier one to analyze the difference as the one I got does not really work for the TT that I have. I use it, but I hear no difference. As a matter of fact I tried it on 2 other tables and I heard no difference. I guess it depends on the clamp and the TT in use.

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
I bought the el-cheapo one on Eprey. I think it too light for a clamp. Need a heavier one to analyze the difference as the one I got does not really work for the TT that I have. I use it, but I hear no difference. As a matter of fact I tried it on 2 other tables and I heard no difference. I guess it depends on the clamp and the TT in use.
Back in the 80s I tried using a part from a Pitney Bowes postage machine that looked a lot like the clamp in this picture. I guess it weighed 2 1/2 pounds or so. I thought I could hear a difference, but it was slight. I think I wanted to hear an improvement so I did.

Rat44

Journeyman
Been thinking about getting one of the Mitchell style clamps.
I have a Project Debut and I don't think a weight would be good for it over the long term.
Anybody use one on an acrylic platter table ?

Dennis

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I think all turntables should show well, you know...

That is why that record company is named Ariola.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
When do you let yourself know that you know?
I have a few that I got from eBay but the one I like the most is 485 grams and is heavy Brass I bought 2 of them. I also found a Denon which is lighter.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I'd love to get a nice heavy brass one at some point. I have never used a record clamp but they look wicked cool

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
I nvr used on either. Do they really help that much??? Or in the end is it more for looks and something more to play around with?

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
I would think that would strain the hell out of the tt motor.
I often wondered about that also. I can see a clamp but a heavy weight just doesn't sound like a good idea for the motor. It's got to put an initial strain on it until it gets to speed.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Think about the old 33 stackers LOL with the heavy Decca's and Columbia's. I think my parents could get 6 on at a time and that's usually with one already left on the platter :laughing5: I still remember the penny taped to the headshell so records would not skip with the shitty worn out needle. It was brand new RCA console I won as 1st prize in a Beautiful Baby contest up in St Lawrence County :D. By the time I got it into my bedroom in my preteen early teen years, it was still in beautiful condition but sounded like shit