Record Pucks, Clamps, Stabilizers

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
The agitator would still tear up a Chinese made winter coat, even on the gentle cycle.

orange

Tagline
Seriously, I got a $5 Pioneer SX-400 from the 80s in the mail today, cleaned most of the dirt off the boards and had the AM and FM working in short order, hopefully got the monitor switch that was opened clean and working right and it goes on to FM stereo with my hand touching the terminal but has to be tuned in mono, indicating maybe an alignment is needed but otherwise it was a strong signal. I need to see if there is a dial pointer lamp out otherwise but I could use it as a clock radio/rear speaker amp with one of m audio timers because it's a non-polarized plug!

FUN SET!

$170,000...if I ran the Chaska Ladies Auxiliary Home I couldn't make that.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I've heard so much crap about record clamps that it raises my bile. "Oh- it really opens the soundstage..." and "A great improvement in clarity". I think these people have found a source for purer LSD than I was ever able to find.

Well, sure- the lacquer is flat (usually vacuumed down to the platter) when it's cut, so it makes some sense. I have a clamp, but don't always use it.

The issue is that the vinyl doesn't always come out of the press perfectly flat. Perhaps not cool enough when the jaws of the press open. Sometimes 2/3 of the record is flat with a "rise" for the remaining third. Sometimes there's a "wrinkle", a small rise and dip at the edge. A weight at the spindle doesn't do jack for this stuff. I recently bought a Harold Budd LP at a thrift store, and the sucker is shaped like a bowl: the center clamp works on one side, but the for other side the rim doesn't contact the platter mat anywhere for the entire circumference of the disc. So what do you do about that?

I've seen a few circumferential disc clamps out there, but for $800! And there's no guarantee that it will work with your turntable. It will either rub against the arm rest or some other "architectural" feature of your turntable cabinet. DANG! $800!

And this one for $1350! GOOD GRIEF! http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Outer-Limit-Turntable-Ring?sc=2&category=421

Rat44

Journeyman
System changes have me bringing up this thread again. My joking instinct is now questioned.

My Pro-Ject TT has an acrylic platter - a mat is not recommended. The Pro-Ject record puck is the recommendation....at a whopping 750+ grams. Basically they say it cements the LP to the platter. Currently running on just the acrylic, no weight. Have to admit that even without a mat or weight the LP seems to be sucked right onto the platter (barring a major warped LP).

Guess I'm wavering on biting the bullet and picking up a weight to see if this makes a difference on an acrylic platter. Anyone have any input????
I also have a Debut with the acrylic platter.
Changed the cartridge to an AT 120E and sounds good now.
The acrylic is a good upgrade well worth the cost.
Tried a few different mats and settled on the bare platter also.
Have looked into a reasonably priced clamp such as the Mitchell , don't think the spindle bearings would like a lot of extra weight.
Have heard even a hockey puck with the center drilled 'can' make an improvement on some tables.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Was hoping you'd check in, I knew you had the Debut with the acrylic platter. Did the Mitchell help? Thinking of the heavyweight only for the stabilizing factor. I like how the record just hugs the platter and the Mitchell has that felt pad that lifts the LP off the platter.

orange

Tagline
I got that SX-400 I spoke of earlier in the thread fully operational except for the dial pointer lamp and employed for the moment as a radio alarm clock with my DT-500 timer (also from about the same time, probably more like from the time of TX-950 but they look really nice together).

SX 400 (2).jpg SX 400 (4).jpg SX 400 (5).jpg

How do I clean the vinylized lid?

20W/channel via an IC amp pack. Still, I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I think I've owned most of the usual brands, Sony, Panasonic/Technics, Hitachi, Sansui, Pioneer, Marantz, MCS from Panasonic and Hitachi. Realistic (Panasonic based, my first phonograph from my first system), even RCA Victor and Silvertone as well as a Hoffman StereoFi console. Never had a JVC for all of their receivers I've owned, nor have I owned a Kenwood although I have their 7" quad test disc.

Last edited:

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Broke down and bought one.

First impression...definitely made a difference in the soundstage. Crisped up the bass a bit. Slightly warped record flattened to the platter...big improvement on that LP. Adds quite a bit of mass to the platter.

Attachments

fitz43

Broke down and bought one.

First impression...definitely made a difference in the soundstage. Crisped up the bass a bit. Slightly warped record flattened to the platter...big improvement on that LP. Adds quite a bit of mass to the platter.
ok, never having been exposed to one, I'll ask the stupid question. What performs the "clamping" action? Just a friction fit on the spindle?

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
No clamp...just heavy. 750 grams really adds mass. Don't think this would work on a suspended table, could bottom it out.

The guy did a good job, better than I expected. Probably will put a felt pad on the bottom.

Pleasantly surprised at the difference. Really enhanced the percussion of Lenny Castro on Bonamassa's acoustic album.

fitz43

No clamp...just heavy. 750 grams really adds mass. Don't think this would work on a suspended table, could bottom it out.

The guy did a good job, better than I expected. Probably will put a felt pad on the bottom.

Pleasantly surprised at the difference. Really enhanced the percussion of Lenny Castro on Bonamassa's acoustic album.
Thanks for the explanation