Recievers ????? Anybody ????

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Thanks a bunch for the info guys.. I just text my buddy Rob and told him about this thread and forum. Hope he checks it out ! Keep the info coming !

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Put personal feelings aside. It's a matter of economics: you can buy four PL 400 amps and an Outlaw 990 processor or divorce the wife. Which do you think is going to cost you more?

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Yes, Lee. But, after the divorce settlement, you can always be content in knowing you stuck to your guns while living in a rented container in an industrial park 10 miles from your ex-wife's home and you've got Black Sabbath playing in surround sound through 4 PL400s and a 990.

Nando.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
I can't wait to hear what Kevin's buddy, Rob, is going to think after reading this informative thread - one part technical, one part life counselling.

Nando.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I can't wait to hear what Kevin's buddy, Rob, is going to think after reading this informative thread - one part technical, one part life counselling.

Nando.

And a third part BSing :bigsmurf:

kevin

Nando.
Ah... Rob is a great sport !!! I was hoping to see him jump in here... Ill text him today and see if he has been here ??

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Joe ALWAYS makes the best recommendations. I agree. Receivers are a thing of the past...but I do like the old NEWCASTLE line made by Sherwood...and I think they made some of the stuff for Outlaw at one time. I honestly don't think there is any need to spend over a few hundred bucks for a decent receiver, if that is what he must do. I would look for a good refurbished Sherwood Newcastle, if he isn't going to get an Outlaw pre and a WOPL.. I guess the convenience of having USB plugs, Bluetooth, and 4K passtrrough is a cool thing, but that is all the more stuff to cause trouble...for the sound and the function of any unit.. Plus, YOU and ME and a lot of folks on this board have already proven that a really good preamp and the appropriate number of WOPLs is all a person will ever need....and WOPLs come with a lifetime warranty..so, what was ROB's question?

Last edited:

kevin

Good point Rigg....... Rob is in the Key's as we speak.. So I don't think he will be buying anything in the next few days.. lol .... Best I can tell rob has a main surround system then he has another 12 channel amp that feeds speakers in every room in the house... Im like the rest of ya... I'd like to think he will look into a good PRE-AMP !!!!

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
The preamp that Joe recommended is a rebadged Sherwood P=965.......The same preamp you and I have Kevin. They still sound great, and we have had very few problems. I know they were introduced in 2005 or something, but I don't know that we could do much better for an HT system. For stereo, I know there are better preamps though...That Acurus is the one to own, but the PL that Lee rebuilt is pretty stout..

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Marantz makes the best 7.1 pre IMHO, I don't do multi-channel, makes me :shaking:, hate the sound, but, he must have some bucks for a proper system, pre, multiple amps, speakers, nice cables/wires etc...

Does he really want to go there?

A SOTA home theater system costs big bucks, IMHO you can get a reasonable amount of satisfaction from a decent used 7.1 receiver and mini speakers from craigslist, add a sub and you get my drift. Just my 2 pennies :toothy5:

kevin

And your right Stueee !!! He has a great system... Has all Klipsch speakers.. He is just looking to replace the Brain... The receiver... His big Onkyo has had some trouble...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The preamp that Joe recommended is a rebadged Sherwood P=965.......The same preamp you and I have Kevin. They still sound great, and we have had very few problems. I know they were introduced in 2005 or something, but I don't know that we could do much better for an HT system. For stereo, I know there are better preamps though...That Acurus is the one to own, but the PL that Lee rebuilt is pretty stout..
Yes, 7.1 is in a different class than pure analog preamps. To me, no comparison but they are for watching videos...