Recievers ????? Anybody ????

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Had a good friend of mine at the house this weekend...... He and I have been into stereo since high school... In fact still has the first pair of K-Horns I ever heard... He is looking to replace his 7.1 surround Receiver.... I've been out of the Receiver scene for years... Last one I had was a Denon... I told him Yamaha....Denon... Pioneer Elite.... and Marantz.... SO.... Who keeps up with this kinda thing ???? 800 to 1200 price range.... any suggestions ?????

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I don't know anything past 5.1, and that or 4 channel is out there for me as I like good old 2.0 and have a Pioneer TX-9100 tuner and a few others. There is an SX-D7000 on eBay right now for $500 bid I think still that would still beat it and it is basically just an SX-3900 with an all digital front end.

I don't know if Nando has a WOPL, but I seem to remember that before the SX-D7000 he had a few McIntosh amps lying about...

kevin

Yea... I had Nando in mind when I started this thread... he may be up on all the new stuff... My buddy ..ROB... has a big new Onkyo right now but has already had to send it off once and its acting up again. I know most of us are pretty much into 2 channel stereo... as far as listening to music.. BUT.. never HURTS TO ASK......

orange

Tagline
Roccus' SX-939 is like a musclecar...80 watts of unashamed gutsy power, I loved that sound, Harmon Kardon 930 was sweet as well.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Had a good friend of mine at the house this weekend...... He and I have been into stereo since high school... In fact still has the first pair of K-Horns I ever heard... He is looking to replace his 7.1 surround Receiver.... I've been out of the Receiver scene for years... Last one I had was a Denon... I told him Yamaha....Denon... Pioneer Elite.... and Marantz.... SO.... Who keeps up with this kinda thing ???? 800 to 1200 price range.... any suggestions ?????
Outlaw 990 processor and 4 PL400 amps...

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Although I was with a major Canadian electronics retailer, my two bits worth is probabably of minimal value. I say that because despite there being scads of A/V receivers, I never paid them much attention. I had to sell them so needed to be informed but they held no personal interstate for me at all.

That being said, the brand that appealed to me the most was NAD. Granted that was when they were a newcomer to that product category but what I liked about them was the simplicity - that and they sounded good in two channel - speakers not withstanding. The other brands on hand for comparison were Yamaha, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite (even though not an Elite dealer we had some anyway), Sony, Sony ES, Denon and Harman Kardon. Most receivers I found too busy as in an overabundance of controls and settings. The NAD was pretty much Surround On / Surround Off. I liked that but not sure how or if they evolved afterwards.

I would have to go Yamaha as my next favorite. At least they made their own processors and did not release those they used in their own products to the rest of the industry. At least that used to be the case. I also saw value in Yamaha's YPAO room calibration feature. Probably not exclusive to them anymore but emphasizing it's usefulness sold some of those receivers for me. I used to like telling customers that while it was doing it's thing, for however how long it took, they had to bugger off and vanquish all kids ands pets so there was no extraneous noise in that room whatsoever until the process was over.

I have difficulty understanding the appeal of myriads of features and buttons. Is GUI still around? All that did was confuse the hell out me as it did most of the customers I demonstrated for. I know someone with a 2 year old Onkyo and he showed me a user manual you could commit suicide jumping from. All he wanted to do was switch to one particular surround mode which it definitely had but it eluded us. He called the retailer who were no help but his service provider figured it out. A piece of home entertainment electronics should not be that complicated. Another plus for Yamaha - they were not too bad in that respect.

I remarked to some of the equipment reps that I found multi channel audio to complex and not user friendly. The begrudgingly agreed but said it was a Japanese thing - the more buttons and features, the better.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I will be looking into getting a multi-channel receiver for the upstairs home entertainment system, next year. I know a friend of mine - who is a big Pioneer fan - uses an Anthem receiver. But, this is in a system that is now three years old. Me: I am the type who spends more time in researching a new product before I commit to buying. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to buy my very first DVD/SACD/DVD-A player. The guy I worked with said, " You've spent more on those stinking stereo review magazines than what it would have cost you to get a player. What is so difficult?"

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
You're right, Lee, he was a smuck as far as his taste in home stereo equipment . Funny thing is, he was a singer in a local rock band. And a good singer, at that.

Nando.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I was always a big fan of Pioneer I've had an sx 828 an 838 and the 939.... my bif beef with thim is the protection circuit in them they are just to touchy when you start to crank some power to the speakers that circuit kicks in and shuts the output down my speakers would easily handle all the power a 939 pus out but I think when these were built was the day of high efficiency air suspension speakers that really could not handle a lot of power without blowing them out that is why I stopped using the 939 and was running a Sansui 8080 the sansui would let you pour way more power on before the circuit would shut it down... now if they had a relay for the pioneer that would let you open it up without cutting out that would be great! But this is why I am almost reluctant to put a protection device in the pl400 if it shuts when I start to put the power to it I will remove it

Roccus' SX-939 is like a musclecar...80 watts of unashamed gutsy power, I loved that sound, Harmon Kardon 930 was sweet as well.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The DCP in a 400 won't shut you down from too much power, it will shut you down if you have any DC on the outs. The driver board has a protection circuit but I haven't been able to trip that yet....

Elite-ist

Staff member
I don't have any McIntosh equipment and I don't intend to get any. Sorry Mac fans. Over-priced and in the shop being repaired, often.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Maybe it was just a few signs and I don't recall where they were but I seem to recall maybe you posted the picture. Long time ago.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
I hadn't looked at any Outlaw gear in a long time. Took a peek at their website and it appears the 990 has been discontinued. They've got some nice gear and that 7 channel amp that REQUIRES TWO 15 AMP power inputs just gives me goose bumps!

BUT.... take a look at their 975 Surround Processor. At $550 that looks like a screamin deal if the sound is worth a damn. I love the fact they've added/converted to HDMI inputs.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

Last edited:
Tagline
---
I've just got a pieced together AV system with a Marantz receiver but it seems that the people I know who have gone with Yamaha in this department have been happy with them.

At this time one may want to put a little more weight in how well it can deal with 4K video

edit: a friend has a new Yamaha with an extra speaker zone for outside speakers or what ever... this is a nice feature for his patio speakers and watching a game while grilling for example.

Last edited:

kevin

Lol... That's what I'm trying to talk him into... That's about what I've got ! Sherwood PL-960 with two 400's and a 700 .. I'm trying to get him away from the receivers but I think he has one of those people that lives with him and said something about the fact that she has to approve... I have no idea what he means by that ..... Lmao.... Just can't imagine having to check with someone else on My stereo.... Something about it had to match.... Anybody ever heard of that ?????