P'zioneer RT-70S'zeven

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Had a brother that was a scuba diver when we lived in Riverside, Cal. He would bring home a sack full and dump them on the lawn. My sister and I would have to have a lobster roundup....good stuff...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Mine needs brake work or something.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
So, I guess I'll revive this old thread, wish it was with good news but I'm sure you guys can help out... So, My RT-707 which I revived a little while is having some trouble last time I played it. It was working great, as it always did before sitting a while. It was stored in the house, clean and dry. When I went to use it the rollers struggled to lift the tape but this was just gummy lube. After sorting that out it played and recorded wonderfully until a few months ago. While playing a tape that had been played before and was known to sound perfect, I lost most of one channel and a good bit of the other. Both were still there but muffled and weak, one more than the other. I seem to recall that unplugging the output on the weakest channel made the other sound better still not right. I also tried switching to a different tape input on my preamp with the same result. Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Andrew

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Like Lee said, possibly dirty heads or maybe the roller is filthy. Might have been playing some old tapes w/ SSS (Sticky Shed Syndrome)??

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Hey guys, I ran a cotton swab gently across them and they seemed very clean. The rollers and capstan are spotless also. The unit had been covered at all times when not in use so I don't think I'm so lucky as to only require a cleaning...

oh, forgot as its been a little while since I was messing with this... the signal problem does show on the VU meters with one channel only about 1/3 the output of the other.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
There's a lot going on in that deck electronically......A LOT...and I don't know where to tell ya where to start...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Thanks guys, I did give the jacks a decent look and a couple twists on the plug with no change. They don't appear oxidized at all.

Lee, I had the bonnet up on her a while back and you're not kidding there's a lot goin on in there:?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Also, check the output level controls on the back of the RT-707. Give them a good workout in each direction.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Microswitches, were you guys telling me as to why either my 707 or 909 broke down?

The other one had braking problems.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Thanks for the advice guys. I am not home with the unit right in front of me at the moment but will check all these things when I return. I did turn the output pots on the back Nando. They did increase or decrease the output, but the problem remained constant. There was no sign of dirty pots, dropping out or crackling. Also the VU meters becoming unbalanced makes me think its a problem between the heads and before the meters??? The recording level pots on the front which are coaxial with the Mic input pots were smooth also as I had recorded with the unit not long before the problem suddenly developed. Also the volume output on the front was smooth. A good cleaning never hurt though, but I think I have a more stubborn problem...

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
If the simple stuff does not fix it then the electrolytics are next. These have been around for a long time and so there ain't no spring chicken there.
Maybe the heads are worn out but they usually do not change over night.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
If the simple stuff does not fix it then the electrolytics are next. These have been around for a long time and so there ain't no spring chicken there.
Maybe the heads are worn out but they usually do not change over night.
This was the problem, re-capped and ready for pick up!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Looking back through this thread and tried a couple of the links for tape suppliers, one is dead but ATR magnetics is up. They have 1/4' tape on 7" reels but only plastic reels with the center stud mount, the aluminum reels have large holes and I don't see an adapter? Also not sure about blue reels... If anyone Has a source for reels and tape i'd be interested in getting a couple.
edit: they dont even have 7 1/2 aluminum... damn can still get tape there at least...

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
NAB adapters tend cost a lot, I use the Teac ones I have and I lucky enough to have the 7" Pioneer reel as well as repro Maxell NABs from Twinimage, both 7 and 10" Revox and an old TDK for takeup. I just use the Teac ones.

As for the tape stock it looks like you have to know your pancakes. I have no experience with new tapes, I tend to have NOS or used.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
NAB adapters tend cost a lot, I use the Teac ones I have and I lucky enough to have the 7" Pioneer reel as well as repro Maxell NABs from Twinimage, both 7 and 10" Revox and an old TDK for takeup. I just use the Teac ones.

As for the tape stock it looks like you have to know your pancakes. I have no experience with new tapes, I tend to have NOS or used.
I Have one original pioneer reel (the unit only came with one new) then several AKAI (i think) aluminum reels so I can wind new tape onto those i guess. I have a few tapes I don't want to record over so they can go into storage on the plastic reels. I did tape over my Mothers Jane Fonda work out though... ATR seems reasonable for the 1250' plastic reels at $26USD.

There is possibly a recording of about 2-3 yr old me singing along to Genesis "That's All"...:oops: