Pre amp mate for pl 700

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I have both MM and MC cartridges. Big issue with MC is you can't easily replace the stylus like you can on MM. Great sound though. Keep MC out of the rotation at drunken parties. o_O

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I took the STFU as a self deprecating joke....did I miss something....I stfu Joe quite a bit..

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Back to the original thread which is already in progress...

There are a number of integrated amps with “pre-out” and “main-in” jacks, some with good features in the “pre” section, but with under-powered output stages. I had a Harman-Kardboard with 70wpc output, speakers sucked that up with a straw and yelled for more. PL 400/II to the rescue!

Vynuladikt

Journeyman
Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
YES! GET A C-1!

I’m shopping for one now, currently using a 4000 Series Two.

Minor drawback on the C-1, two phono inputs, one for MM, one for MC. I really don’t want to buy a MC cart.

Mark,
I still owe you some pics of C1's I have available for you. I could also sketch up the mods required to convert the MC input to a MM input. Mainly just some input loading and gain changes. Minor resistor swaps in the input pair.
I'll try to get them out and photograph in the next couple of days. It's been crazy with house renovations and Easter family gathering.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
YES! GET A C-1!

I’m shopping for one now, currently using a 4000 Series Two.

Minor drawback on the C-1, two phono inputs, one for MM, one for MC. I really don’t want to buy a MC cart.

C1's are EXCELLENT pre's, easy to upgrade, and having both MM and MC is not a drawback, it's a great feature for people who have either cart. And, as we pointed out, you can change the port to make it all MM IF desired, but unneeded. If you have 2 MM turntables, you can convert or just run one at a time since switching turntables is a simple task even I can handle. I have never felt the need to have 2 MM turntables set up

MarkWComer

Tagline
You can always increase the apparent loudness by adding a sub with a much more powerful output amp, eg a 400 bridged, and roll off the normal full range boxes.
Bi-amping can really lift a system heaps.
I’ve been thinking about that, use the 400 for mid & high, the 700 for the lows. Lows consume most of your amp’s power.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Mark,
I still owe you some pics of C1's I have available for you. I could also sketch up the mods required to convert the MC input to a MM input. Mainly just some input loading and gain changes. Minor resistor swaps in the input pair.
I'll try to get them out and photograph in the next couple of days. It's been crazy with house renovations and Easter family gathering.
Thanks- will keep an eye or two peeled!