Pre amp mate for pl 700

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep, a lot of guys here have that combination. If you don't do vinyl the Acurus RL-11 is a VERY underrated prer...no phono section though.

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
My father had a C1 in the system before it shot craps. Since then We have upgraded him to the Acurus RL-11. He's not using a turntable in the system. But one should note there is no Bass and Treble controls on the RL-11. One thing he sees as lacking...........

OZ of da trap

New Around These Parts
My father had a C1 in the system before it shot craps. Since then We have upgraded him to the Acurus RL-11. He's not using a turntable in the system. But one should note there is no Bass and Treble controls on the RL-11. One thing he sees as lacking...........
Yeah I play 45/33/78 at times and most all the early C pre amps have that feature for phono. I also have audionics pre amp too

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
YES! GET A C-1!

I’m shopping for one now, currently using a 4000 Series Two.

Minor drawback on the C-1, two phono inputs, one for MM, one for MC. I really don’t want to buy a MC cart.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
YES! GET A C-1!

Minor drawback on the C-1, two phono inputs, one for MM, one for MC. I really don’t want to buy a MC cart.
Why would you need to buy an MC cartridge? If you have a MM, use it, you don't NEED to buy a MC. Matter of fact, some have converted the unused cart input to a version you need.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Why would you need to buy an MC cartridge? If you have a MM, use it, you don't NEED to buy a MC. Matter of fact, some have converted the unused cart input to a version you need.
I haven’t yet figured out how to adapt a MC input to a MM cart. There’s a capacitance setting on those MC inputs that I don’t fully understand since I’ve never used one or even owned one. I was considering a switch box to select between the two turntables. I don’t want to permanently change the internal circuitry of the pre, I want to leave that option open and “original.”

To satisfy my curiosity, what change should I make? A resistor to attenuate? What about the capacitance option? This is new territory for me.

EDIT: Offensive language deleted...

Last edited:

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I haven’t yet figured out how to adapt a MC input to a MM cart. There’s a capacitance setting on those MC inputs that I don’t fully understand since I’ve never used one or even owned one. I was considering a switch box to select between the two turntables. I don’t want to permanently change the internal circuitry of the pre, I want to leave that option open and “original.”

To satisfy my curiosity, what change should I make? A resistor to attenuate? What about the capacitance option? This is new territory for me.

Yeah, just “google” it and STFU, right?
I don't think a question about differences in MC and MM necessarily requires a STFU.

The main difference is the MC phono stage has higher gain. A MC could likely be converted to MM by matching feedback resistors of the existing MM. I believe the capacitor setting is to match the tonearm wiring with the recommended capacitance loading of the cartridge. If the cartridge prefers 250PF and the existing cabling is 100pf then the ideal capacitance would be 150pf. And if that's not right I'll STFU.

MarkWComer

Tagline
I don't think a question about differences in MC and MM necessarily requires a STFU.

The main difference is the MC phono stage has higher gain. A MC could likely be converted to MM by matching feedback resistors of the existing MM. I believe the capacitor setting is to match the tonearm wiring with the recommended capacitance loading of the cartridge. If the cartridge prefers 250PF and the existing cabling is 100pf then the ideal capacitance would be 150pf. And if that's not right I'll STFU.
Thanks! Better understanding, the wiring of my Dual 1229Q was supposed to accommodate the quadraphonic carts of the day, lower capacitance for the higher frequencies from the CD-4 records. If I were to go MC, it would be on the Pioneer PL-L1000 and move the AT440 to the Dual. I’m not completely against a MC cart, but it presents a new set of parameters that really aren’t necessary. I don’t like the lack of user replaceable stylii, either, nor do I like the higher tracking pressure that most of them seem to require.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
YES! GET A C-1!

I converted my C-11 and several 4000t to mm on both phono inputs. There is a bit of resistor rework and couple of jumpers but pretty straight forward. Just duplicate the circuit from the schematic and trace the path on the board To find best connection points. The c4000 and 4000t have some unused holes so no drilling required to add the few extras.

MarkWComer

Tagline
I converted my C-11 and several 4000t to mm on both phono inputs. There is a bit of resistor rework and couple of jumpers but pretty straight forward. Just duplicate the circuit from the schematic and trace the path on the board To find best connection points. The c4000 and 4000t have some unused holes so no drilling required to add the few extras.
Gotcha! Easy fix!

MarkWComer

Tagline

Apologies for the STFU. Not appropriate...