Please tell me if these heads are any good

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Jazzguy: If the deck is on its way, then you will be the best judge of how you like this deck as compared to your newly-received Denon DRM-700. I don't know about either model, as I haven't heard a tape recorded from them. But, you can let us know how they compare to each other and your other cassette decks.

Nando.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
When do you let yourself know that you know?
OK! I'll let you know when it arrives! I was hoping you could look at the URL I sent you and give me your impression as I respect your opinion irrespective of whether or not you are acquainted with Denon decks. You are a maven of quality equipment.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
You give me way too much credit, Jazzguy. I like to record to cassette, and I have gained a lot of experience listening to other members' recordings on many different decks. As far as the cassette deck's electrical and mechanical design, I defer to the professionals. I have my decks professionally serviced when needed, but I do keep them clean as possible before taping. One feature I do like on cassette decks is the ability to manually calibrate bias, level, and equalization for different tape formulations. The Denon DR-F7 doesn't have that feature. But, I have heard some excellent recordings by members using their two-head, belt-driven capstan machines without manual calibration. So then, what does it matter looking for more if the playback and recording results from a $100 deck can match that of a deck costing 4X that.

Nando.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
You give me way too much credit, Jazzguy. I like to record to cassette, and I have gained a lot of experience listening to other members' recordings on many different decks. As far as the cassette deck's electrical and mechanical design, I defer to the professionals. I have my decks professionally serviced when needed, but I do keep them clean as possible before taping. One feature I do like on cassette decks is the ability to manually calibrate bias, level, and equalization for different tape formulations. The Denon DR-F7 doesn't have that feature. But, I have heard some excellent recordings by members using their two-head, belt-driven capstan machines without manual calibration. So then, what does it matter looking for more if the playback and recording results from a $100 deck can match that of a deck costing 4X that.

Nando.
Automatic Calibration is a desirable feature to tune various tapes to the deck used,but there are other features that are just as important and desirable.The quality of the heads for example.Because without that you have nothing.You are correct in your analysis of the important qualities of cassettes decks.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
Well it came and it plays beautifully.I haven't recorded anything yet but it compares well with my Nak Dragon.Iput it through its paces with many tapes that I recorded on my Dragon and others. The strange thing is that it absolutely ate the first tape I put in it.It was definitely the cassette's fault.I tried 6 more tapes with it and rewound and fast forwarded and nothing happened .The sound is uniquely good.It was packed with care and delivered by FedEX.I don't have a Manual so I have no idea what FTS is . There is a few buttons that refer to it.Maybe someone can help me on this.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
FTS, ''flat tuning system'' and that might be just bias fine feature for flat response on every tape, i don't know how it's working, maybe it has tones generator and you must tweak the + and - for a flat response while monitoring, anyway i'm not sure but you can try and see.

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Well it came and it plays beautifully.I haven't recorded anything yet but it compares well with my Nak Dragon.Iput it through its paces with many tapes that I recorded on my Dragon and others. The strange thing is that it absolutely ate the first tape I put in it.It was definitely the cassette's fault.I tried 6 more tapes with it and rewound and fast forwarded and nothing happened .The sound is uniquely good.It was packed with care and delivered by FedEX.I don't have a Manual so I have no idea what FTS is . There is a few buttons that refer to it.Maybe someone can help me on this.
The Denon DR-F7 has one of the best auto tape tune systems from what I hear. Just let it run through its process and you are ready to record. Unfortunately mine does not record in one of the channels. One thing you have to watch out for in this deck is the idler tyre. I had to re-surface it. Its the only weak point of the deck. Never run anything on top of this unit, it runs hot (I fan cool mine). Wow and Flutter virtually disappeared once the idler tyre was fixed. I think its a low 0.027 which is incredible for a single capstan deck, the direct drive flywheel is huge, I like the clunky solenoids too, gives it real character.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
Hi Derek! I ran through the FTS process because Alex (ANT) sent me a service manual for the deck. It is in MANUALS if you need one. The IDLER TIRE was replaced by the seller . he also replaced the VU Meter lamps with low wattage lamps that will last a long time. The deck is like brand new and it sounds great. The DRM-700 turned out to be in pristine condition. I lucked out with that one. The seller even included the manual which looked like it had never been used as well.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
FTS, ''flat tuning system'' and that might be just bias fine feature for flat response on every tape, i don't know how it's working, maybe it has tones generator and you must tweak the + and - for a flat response while monitoring, anyway i'm not sure but you can try and see.
Thank you for your help. I got the manual for it and it works great! Thank you for trying to help me!