Please tell me if these heads are any good

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
When do you let yourself know that you know?
I am planning to purchase this deck and I am worried about whether the heads are in good shape. IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0008.jpg

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Are these pictures which were supplied to you by the seller? The pictures are out of focus so it's difficult to give a concise opinion.

Nando.

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Wear would be visible on the small metal piece between the sandwich head. Even slightly out of focus, it would still be easy to spot.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
Are these pictures which were supplied to you by the seller? The pictures are out of focus so it's difficult to give a concise opinion.

Nando.
Yes those are what the seller sent. I wonder if these are direct drive motors or do they need belts? Can you find out? I looked on vintage cassettes but they were silent on that.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Here's a pic of the head on the KX... you can clearly see the wear lines across that center piece of metal.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
@BubbaH Do you think it has Direct Drive Motors as the seller is silent about belt replacement. This is a Denon M-700 I know the DR-7 had direct Drive Motors.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Denon DRM-700 is a single capstan belt drive model.

Nando.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
Which would any of you pick? The DR-7 with direct Drive capstan or the DRM-700 with belts and the heads as displayed.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I personally have never used a Denon deck. Your guess would be as good as mine.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I would throw that question out to TH member, Alex (A.N.T.)

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I doubt Alex could have get back to you that quickly with a response. Regardless, it will be nice to see those Denon cassette decks in your system. Let us know how it goes.

Nando.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
I doubt Alex could have get back to you that quickly with a response. Regardless, it will be nice to see those Denon cassette decks in your system. Let us know how it goes.

Nando.
I got a reply from Alex,he is a great guy as we both know.I wish I could send him some decks but he is in the UK and the shipping charges are astronomical.He says that they both require mods.The electronics on the DRM-700 are lousy. Still he feels he would have paid for the heads that much alone! The DR-7 he feels is too much money for an old deck but the seller is in the business and replaced light in the Vu meters and a belt for the counter and an idler tire. So I think it is worth buying. Alex would like one in his collection but would not have paid that much.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
Well the first one the Denon DRM-700 arrived and it is just the way BubbaH described it. It doesn't look as if it has been used at all! It included the Manual and that looks like it was never used. The playback is excellent in every way!

Elite-ist

Staff member
Sounds like you have another keeper. It's always good to hear when the deck does what it should without costing an arm and a leg.

Nando.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
Well the DR-F7 is to be delivered tomorrow and I just made room for it upstairs. I hope it will be OK but the seller has all rave reviews and nothing negative on his sales. It is a direct Drive capstan.I will send you the URL as soon as I look it up. Tell me what you think!

Last edited: