PL400 Series 2 Build

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
After finishing a PL400 S1, I plan to start building a PL400 S2. The sickness has begun, I could not resist.

Just received an email that all the White Oak components have shipped, so tear down begins.

This Series 2 was used hard and put away wet its complete life... It's very rough around the edges.

I only plan to reuse the transformer, fins, and mid-plate. No emotional attachment or desire to keep this even remotely original, this one gets the full treatment.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Looks like that ol soldier tried to keep up with the 700's...
Wish I knew the history of this of this one, the stories it could tell...

Lots of beer stains and hard travel on this one.

A friend bought an old house with detached single car garage with this burried in the corner. I noticed the back of the transformer and dug it out, offered $100 and here we are.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Reconstruction begins with the control board.

Started with cleaning the bare PCB with IPA and component placement following the BOM sequence.

Resistors and diodes placed and soldered, flux residue cleaned front and back with IPA. If you're building full comp, pay attention to R38. There are 2 resistors within the package of 6 with wider lead spacing specifically for this location.

Low profile caps and TO-92 placed and soldered, more IPA cleaning... If you're installing Phoenix connectors, now's the time to solder them in place, specifically the bias lead connectors. The tall caps make access very challenging in later steps.

Fully assembled, cleaned, and inspected. Unfortunately waited until this last step to solder in the Phoenix connectors. The connectors for the bias leads were a challenge to solder from the component side between the tall caps...

Last edited:

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Reconstruction begins with the control board.

Started with cleaning the bare PCB with IPA and component placement following the BOM sequence.

Resistors and diodes placed and soldered, flux residue cleaned front and back with IPA. If you're building full comp, pay attention to R38. There are 2 resistors within the package of 6 with wider lead spacing specifically for this location.

Low profile caps and TO-92 placed and soldered, more IPA cleaning...

Fully assembled, cleaned, and inspected. Unfortunately waited until this last step to solder in the Phoenix connectors. The connectors for the bias leads were a challenge to solder from the component side between the tall caps...

Beautiful Work !

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I installed my Phoenix connecter upside down when I built the 700 Pro control board. No way to get in there to desolder it with the tall caps in the way.
Cut it off with the Dremel, extracted the leads, and carefully soldered the new one in right side up. Yup, it's tight!

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
I installed my Phoenix connecter upside down when I built the 700 Pro control board. No way to get in there to desolder it with the tall caps in the way.
Cut it off with the Dremel, extracted the leads, and carefully soldered the new one in right side up. Yup, it's tight!
After reading your post, I had that sinking feeling maybe I did the same thing and had to run into the shop to confirm!

Fortunately, not...

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Completed backplane TO-3 sockets and PEM nut soldering today.

Used the screw and spring PEM nut securing method this time. As Jim would say, that's the Shiznit right there...

A Weller WX-2, WXP120 iron with a 3mm chisel tip made easy work soldering PEM nuts.

Going for the recommended concave solder fillet by finding the right solder feed rate and waiting for proper solder flow around the PEM.

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Completed backplane TO-3 sockets and PEM nut soldering today.

Used the screw and spring PEM nut securing method this time. As Jim would say, that's the Shiznit right there...

A Weller WX-2, WP120 iron with a 3mm chisel tip made easy work soldering PEM nuts.

Going for the recommended concave solder fillet by finding the right solder feed rate and waiting for proper solder flow around the PEM.

The conical springs are the best way to fly...