PL400-700 BABB Pictures

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Hey Lee,
I've been working with Blanchard rotary grinders and large surface grinders for 45 years. This is rare but I have seen it probably 5 times. Your post really put a smile on my face, very interesting.
Thanks for the post!
Stay warm, colder where you are, but I woke up to -17 without the wind chill this morning :oops:.
The 48 we just hooked up last week. Was doing some rewiring on it. Someone had screwed up the post to motor wiring by not allowing any extra for the head travel...Built in the 40's. I would hate to have to find a starter coil for that thing. Had the 36 cook a table in starter coil and got lucky and found one in a pile of really old stuff in the Rozet yard. Something about those large, all-American, overbuilt to last forever machine tools that trips my trigger.
I'll post some pics this week...

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
I agree, would be neat to see some pictures.
On my apprenticeship many decades ago, I was "set-up" by the journeymen with some really huge, really old (late 30's 1940's)
grinders, with sub-par magnets on them, to test my mettle. They would hide just out of shrapnel range when I fired a wheel up, and engaged the magnet. Always called them "Widow Makers" and I learned who to trust, and
who not to................and I always kept an extra pair of shorts in my roll around!
Hard to find parts for a lot of that stuff now, because the scrap iron was worth more than the machine.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Grinder question:

back when I was running Diamond grinders, we had a spin-on filter to clean the coolant for the last few tenths and the spark out. It made a huge difference in the ra.

Where do you get the housing and spin on filters now? My searching keeps coming up with diesel engine coolant filters…

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I agree, would be neat to see some pictures.
On my apprenticeship many decades ago, I was "set-up" by the journeymen with some really huge, really old (late 30's 1940's)
grinders, with sub-par magnets on them, to test my mettle. They would hide just out of shrapnel range when I fired a wheel up, and engaged the magnet. Always called them "Widow Makers" and I learned who to trust, and
who not to................and I always kept an extra pair of shorts in my roll around!
Hard to find parts for a lot of that stuff now, because the scrap iron was worth more than the machine.
We have to initial our dents in the guards....and yes I have a couple..