PL2000 Series 2

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
If you MUST use an electrolytic in an audio path
Or a bipolar (BP) or nonpolarized (NP) electrolytic, or two electrolytic capacitors back to back, for example: negative to negative, then the two positive connections become the non-polarized version. Also, the capacitance divides in half, I believe.

Am I correct here, Joe? Then again, why would you do this if it violates Rule #3?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Or a bipolar (BP) or nonpolarized (NP) electrolytic, or two electrolytic capacitors back to back, for example: negative to negative, then the two positive connections become the non-polarized version. Also, the capacitance divides in half, I believe.

Am I correct here, Joe? Then again, why would you do this if it violates Rule #3?
Capacitance does divide in half. If you put 2 electrolytics back to back then be very sure to parallel with the film cap. Other than low ESR type caps (and those are not really very good either, they are just better) electrolytics do not have great high frequency characteristics.

That is one of the reasons that electrolytics are used in the output of many switching power supplies. The ESR of the electrolytic forms a zero in the feedback loop which is critical to the stability of the design.

mlucitt

And don't forget the first commandment of electronic safety:
(1) Beware of the lightning that lurks in an undischarged capacitor lest it cause thee to be bounced upon thy backside in a most ungainly manner.

George S.