PL2000 S2 Balance pot.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
A question related to PL 4000 series 1 .
The volume pot is a 100k linear with a 39k across center and ground to
have a log pot . But the pot is not connected directly to ground but via a 56 Ohm resistor .
Why ? What's the reason ? Never seen in other applications .
Ciao
Marco

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
A question related to PL 4000 series 1 .
The volume pot is a 100k linear with a 39k across center and ground to
have a log pot . But the pot is not connected directly to ground but via a 56 Ohm resistor .
Why ? What's the reason ? Never seen in other applications .
Ciao
Marco
Nothing in the circuit that is obvious that would drive the need for it.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
You replaced a dual log pot with a single linear pot correct? Did you measure in ohms where each pot measured to its ground terminal when the knob was centered on the original pot?
Correct, had 3 of them. 100k single gang. All measured very close to 98k ( and change) total resistance. With wiper very precisely centered, 49k (and change) from wiper to each leg. Amazingly accurate for such a cheap pot.
Took extreme care to cut the shaft to "D" shape at correct clock position.
Nothing on the board needed changed that I could see, just jumpers put across each channels solder pads with the pot legs to the channel jumpers and wiper grounded. So I decided no need for "jumpers" if I wired it as in photo. I maintained the correct wire colors.
On the dual channel scope, each channels wave form aligns over the other perfectly at 12:00, fades equally, gains or diminishes equally with volume.
I'm very satisfied with the results.

George S.

Oh, and the original dual gang is clearly logarithmic. The new single gang Bourne's is linear. The linear works fine, I think better. Better as in one has a finer ability to adjust the balance out near the pots limits.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Oh, and the original dual gang is clearly logarithmic. The new single gang Bourne's is linear. The linear works fine, I think better. Better as in one has a finer ability to adjust the balance out near the pots limits.
The likelihood that positional matching between 2 ganged log pots has to be much smaller than a linear pot is.

George S.

I agree, when I plotted the values on the two gang there was a clear clocking discrepancy between the two gangs. A single gang eliminates that potential issue.