PL 700 solder point pulled away from control board

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
On my PL 700 (original board) I have a detached solder trace. Not a real long piece but still. What have you guys been using to glue (probably not a good word ) fasten those back ? I know that I can simply put a longer wire up to the next point on the board but if there is a better way I would like to do it.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
That's pretty much what I do, lay a small wire in place of it...

mlucitt

You can use 5-minute epoxy to glue down that wire trace if it still in good shape. It takes very little epoxy, just a smear under the trace an then some wax paper and light pressure to hold it in place until the epoxy is set up. Alternatively, you can steal a slightly newer, wider, thicker trace from another circuit board and epoxy it in place of the old damaged or worn trace. Use a razor blade to remove the donor trace from the donor board. Get a trace with an unused through hole (solder hole) if you need one.

Just overlap the traces a bit so that you can flow solder from good trace to repaired trace. Let it completely set up overnight.

This is how we did it in the Navy, WOPL Sniffer can confirm or deny the above procedure.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You can use 5-minute epoxy to glue down that wire trace if it still in good shape. It takes very little epoxy, just a smear under the trace an then some wax paper and light pressure to hold it in place until the epoxy is set up. Alternatively, you can steal a slightly newer, wider, thicker trace from another circuit board and epoxy it in place of the old damaged or worn trace. Use a razor blade to remove the donor trace from the donor board. Get a trace with an unused through hole (solder hole) if you need one.

Just overlap the traces a bit so that you can flow solder from good trace to repaired trace. Let it completely set up overnight.

This is how we did it in the Navy, WOPL Sniffer can confirm or deny the above procedure.

Lifting may be indicative of too much heat during soldering. Check for other damage but yeah, thats how we did/do it. They make eyelets if the original needs repair.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Yep, eyelet is good . Did not know they made those. I may have used too much heat. I do solder hot. I only noticed it after I took the board out to start re populating it. I would think the original board to be fiberglass ?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
yes, they are a class of fiberglass. They are crap. The originals will fall apart from the heat. I sold piles of them for $50... Invest in a new Joe board

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Did not think the Joe boards would work on in the PL 700 or is that just the back plane kit o_O Sorry, I have a hard time keeping up.

PL14_20 RevG1 Dual Mono Control Board Kit ??

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yeah, the original boards were not engineered to last this long let alone at the heat levels that are generated inside a 700. These guys think I'm crazy for pushing these AC Infinity fan units. If a dude used one of these on his amp from the day he bought it, it would probably still be running. Heat is the enema enemy. :)

Tagline
---6 and 7 days work week, no end in sight
I have a PL 200 II the foil lifted up from both boards from excess soldering. Had to use wire to repair. I don't think these boards are gonna take any more repair.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Yep this board could have been among the very 1st lots made for the PL 700's .

View attachment 38726
The first boards made for the 700 were a 4 channel pc board bridge to (2) channel output. Then the boards we call the "Kelly DeYong" pc boards (used in 700's primarily used by Kelly DeYong Sound in Canada). I previously posted pictures of these very rare amps on this forum.

The PL0171 was used in the production of all 700's from February 1971 until the middle of 1973 when the 700B replaced the 700.

Ed

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yep this board could have been among the very 1st lots made for the PL 700's .

View attachment 38726

I don't believe I have one of them. If I did, I'd let you have it. I'll check my stash but I believe I may have gotten rid of most of the old boards. I'll see what this 700B has in it when it gets here in a couple hours.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I still have my ear to the ground for a 700B to WOPL as well
. Have not found one yet. I am near Atlanta/Birmingham so I am sure one will come up one day. I check regularly. Almost every day.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
The first boards made for the 700 were a 4 channel pc board bridge to (2) channel output. Then the boards we call the "Kelly DeYong" pc boards (used in 700's primarily used by Kelly DeYong Sound in Canada). I previously posted pictures of these very rare amps on this forum.

The PL0171 was used in the production of all 700's from February 1971 until the middle of 1973 when the 700B replaced the 700.

Ed
Ed, is there a way to determine the year, age of the amp I have by S.N. ? Is that info over at the "https://www.phaselinearhistory.stereomanuals.com/700seriesamp.htm" site ? I must be missing it if so.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I still have my ear to the ground for a 700B to WOPL as well
. Have not found one yet. I am near Atlanta/Birmingham so I am sure one will come up one day. I check regularly. Almost every day.
I know how it goes, I found this one during the wee hours a few days back. when they pop, you got to be quick.