PL 700 solder point pulled away from control board

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Here is mine. I looked but for a second or so. Thanks for that have not de ciphered it, yet... View attachment 38727
If you have the original output transistors or power supply capacitors they will have 4 digit date codes on them that will give you a relative idea when the amplifier was built. Usually a few months after the transistor or capacitor indicates.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Yep this board could have been among the very 1st lots made for the PL 700's .

View attachment 38726

No luck, mine had a PL-20 in it. Never seen one in this good of condition. This 700B must have been babied. When I opened it up, it had some delay mechanism in it. It was tied in to the speaker jacks/Zoebel...... You could set it for 1 second or up to like 10 hours... I'll have to post a pic of it.... Friggin gadgets....

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
If you have the original output transistors or power supply capacitors they will have 4 digit date codes on them that will give you a relative idea when the amplifier was built. Usually a few months after the transistor or capacitor indicates.
Thanks Ed. When I dive back in I would like to check that out of pure curiosity.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
No luck, mine had a PL-20 in it. Never seen one in this good of condition. This 700B must have been babied. When I opened it up, it had some delay mechanism in it. It was tied in to the speaker jacks/Zoebel...... You could set it for 1 second or up to like 10 hours... I'll have to post a pic of it.... Friggin gadgets....
Hell yeah, great score. I would like to check a look at the delay mechanism thing. Never heard of such...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
My Counterpoint amps have an on-delay circuit. It allows the main caps to charge fully before passing audio.

mlucitt

My Counterpoint amps have an on-delay circuit. It allows the main caps to charge fully before passing audio.
How big are your Counterpoint main caps? This site is interesting:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capchg.html

Capacitors will reach 63% of the charge voltage in one time constant and maximum (99%) charge voltage in 5 time constants, hence the formula: t=5xRxC where t=time in Seconds, R=resistance in Ohms, and C=capacitance in Farads.

I'm not sure what the effective resistance (R) would be in the 100VDC main capacitor circuit of our PL amps? Maybe .1 Ohm? If that is true, a 15,000uF (C) PL700 cap will reach maximum charge in 5 x 1 x .0015 or .0075 seconds after the DC voltage is applied.