PL 700 Series ii power switch

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
BTW, Mouser sells the mounting bracket.

I did some testing a few years back. When the AC switch closed, I recorded inrush currents up to 145 amps. I developed a PCB and a solidstate switch (triac) to do the heavy lifting. The triac has a max input current rating much higher than anything I recorded. The existing AC switch controls the triac and so the switch rarely sees more than a few milliamps. That will extend the life of the switch indefinitely.

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I’m thinking about putting a big contactor in a box with receptacles on it for 2 WOPLs. Have one of the switched receps on the back of the Carver energize the contactor coil. My 4 fin doesn’t have a switch and I can ignore/bypass the one on the 700B….. maybe I’ll do a delay for the 700 idk…..

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living

George S.

Don, very interested in your Triac PCB. Are you selling these now or plan to do so? I'm thinking it would mount by the fuses and small gauge wire would run to the power switch. This would be great as I really dislike that run of heavy wire to the switch.
Was thinking about this last night and had the thought that I should have ditched the Alps meter attenuation switch and bracket for another of those heavy duty switches.
Your Triac board and two of Sniffs heavy switches would be the ultimate upgrade.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Yes,

I've sold a few here and there but haven't really pushed them. I have a new board being made that will accept 3 different cases. Attached are some photos. The triac mounts on the bottom of the board and connections on the top. The board uses standoffs and the lower screw that the driver board mounts on. Like the relay boards, no drilling required. The triac's heatsink is isolated and uses the chassis as a heat sink. The triac is a 40 amp with surge current in the neighborhood of 250 amps.

Attachments

George S.

Ditched the Alps meter attenuation switch and bracket. Very easy install. Install each switch using existing screw hole in bracket. Mark, center punch, and drill the missing screw hole. Install screws, solder, done.
Alignment of the switch cap in the face plate is perfect as is cap protrusion.

Attachments