PL 700 II REPLACEMENT MAIN VOLUME POTS

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Sniff, think he's talking about bypassing the DCP rather than the attenuator pots. I may be mistaken.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
George, one time on Stephen's system in Phoenix he played his Sweet Thunder release of Crime of the Century on his Thoens TD 520 with an unpronounceable Japanese cartridge through a Walker Reference phono amp, Rowland Coherence preamp and the Silver Shadow 400 pushing some JBL L200'S. A very discerning system. I heard the difference without a DCP and with one. It was noticeable, but man, that was some expensive gear that was probably worth what he spent..

Sure miss that guy..

Attachments

George S.

Lee, I hear you. I appreciate it. It's tough losing a good friend. I remember you talking about him once, a forensic accountant I believe.

MusicSteve

Journeyman
Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
Sometimes I think I can George and sometimes I just cant tell. On the better engineerd stuff yeah...
Imo , W the 700II and 400II you might hear a different if the POT are not turned all the way up. Ed said that their is distortion if the Pots are not turned up all the way.
I always had them turned up and I love the look of them.
also, what kind of cables you use can to the pots can make a huge different (never like the Phase linear Cables) and how you rout them also can make a different. (this is the most important cable in the amp - Low single level)
But I like to turn them all the way down for troubleshooting and if I'm removing RCA cables. like you said can make a high pitch noise which I don't like!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Imo , W the 700II and 400II you might hear a different if the POT are not turned all the way up. Ed said that their is distortion if the Pots are not turned up all the way.
I always had them turned up and I love the look of them.
also, what kind of cables you use can to the pots can make a huge different (never like the Phase linear Cables) and how you rout them also can make a different. (this is the most important cable in the amp - Low single level)
But I like to turn them all the way down for troubleshooting and if I'm removing RCA cables. like you said can make a high pitch noise which I don't like!

For troubleshooting, the amp should be turned OFF before connecting and disconnecting anything.

MusicSteve

Journeyman
Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
50% pot setting, 100K pot. Input impedance = 55.54K ohm at 100 Hz or greater, 220K at DC

View attachment 72430
Thanks Joe
I like the charts, never really understand the circuit (Never like the Sw and I never thought it was Audio grade)
see pic What's the advances of the low pass capacitor filter can, is it also a dc coupler to the inputs?
I have my 400II wired like this and thinking the same w the 700 II w the pots all the way turned up.

I Don't Remember if the I have a 200k resistors hooked up and w this setup is their a reason to have the resistor installed?
w the low pass capacitor installed would give me more real power for the amp?

Attachments