PL 700 II Clair Bros Rising from the Ashes

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
Well.......Tres Hombres kicked the hi temp kills out on the SER II .....I didn't trhink that would happen...AND I HAD THE FANS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It’s all good Lee, remember that 700 series II amp has a Perry lifetime guarantee!!! I hope you mailed in that warranty card to the home office in Arizona ...

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Oh, Bud, not worried about that. It's just the 400 was sooooooo sweet. It is a Rev D board which is all discreet, and it does sound good...we'll keep it like it is....

Peter S

Journeyman
Well, my first fuddle-up (that I know of!) Removing the thermal switches, that tab broke way too easy! It must of been flexed back and forth a few times before.........that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I have another one (left in the picture) from a Peavey amp----but YUCK. Something about that transplant doesn't sit right with me.

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
That is another example of PL wrapping the wire around the post several times thinking the connection would be better. IT AINT! They also do it on the Fan outlet tabs...

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Well, my first fuddle-up (that I know of!) Removing the thermal switches, that tab broke way too easy! It must of been flexed back and forth a few times before.........that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I have another one (left in the picture) from a Peavey amp----but YUCK. Something about that transplant doesn't sit right with me.
Done that myself more than once.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
This is the closest replacement I could find so far:
https://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/05en1034-80-m/thermal-switch-nc-80-c/dp/732540

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yes, the straight up terminals are the 90 degree which are the same as the originals. This is what I got from the Rep.

Perry,
If you are requesting 90º terminals, the part number will be 430-301A285-540

Temperature specification: open on rise, open at 170ºF +/- 5ºF, close at 155ºF +/- 5ºF

Thermostat pricing and lead time is quantity based; if the order quantity is different please obtain correct pricing.
Quantity 1 = $9.75 USD each, 3 - 5 day lead time ARO/payment received.
FOB = origin, Altoona, WI 54720 - recommended shipping method is USPS Priority mail ($6.80 USD for small quantity 1 - 5 orders).

Thank you,

Karen Fenimore
SENASYS
704 Bartlett Ave
Altoona, WI 54720 USA
Phone: 715-831-6353 Fax: 419-818-0897
Email: info@senasys.com

don't know if this PDF will work

View attachment 430-301A285.PDF

Peter S

Journeyman
Thanks Ed;
Thanks for the heavy-duty power switch (on the right). I have searched for a replacement for some time with no luck. A rotary power switch is a lot less common than I thought! This is the amp that started my love affair with Phase linear. I bought it when I was 16! The amp already had an extensive history. The meter needles were broken off! I got it from the Canadian rock group, "Triumph". I was told that Triumph got them from a system used by The Who. This amp could be a part of history!
Ed's power switch will be the first step in this future rebuild project. The amp 'Flame-Lineared' on me in 1979 and 3 outputs were replaced with PL909's, still available at that time. I have owned this amp for over 40 years now---Yikes, I'm old. An amp full of PL909's, if they get pulled, could those old outputs be used in a Peavey CS 800 (series A )

Attachments

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Peter,

The cam operated power switch was originally designed for a 700B.

I am not sure that it will work for a original 700 because of the clearance.

I am also vacationing at the moment. So I don’t have the ability to double-check this.

Ed

Last edited:

Peter S

Journeyman
Hi Ed and all;
Wow, you know your PL700's!! Definitely too tight for the new-fangled switch in the original PL700. Caps are mounted on the side wall rather than on a transformer saddle. I think I can swap switches with my 700B when I take it out off the rack. That will have to wait until one of my 700 series II's is "WOPL'ed"
I will also try some surgery on the dead switch, it looks like a snap-together unit.

Attachments

Peter S

Journeyman
Since I'm on a roll for parts not fitting, I'm wondering what dimension are the 'undersize' PL700 chassis. This is the Clair Bros steel chassis, it is a tight 6 & 3/8" inside height. I am looking for dimensions for the WO back plane pcb.

Attachments