PL 400 renovation cost

Deano452

New Around These Parts
It's a series one 240 volt with a serial no of 8500 or so how much would the above cost without 10/11 and with the silver and why would I purchase a faceplate or does that have functionality re the meters ?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
It's a series one 240 volt with a serial no of 8500 or so how much would the above cost without 10/11 and with the silver and why would I purchase a faceplate or does that have functionality re the meters ?
Many folks have trashed faceplates and want factory new looking amp.

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
why would I purchase a faceplate
So many of these old amp heads look like they’ve been through a war, some of the ones you find have no face at all! Mine have some small “battle scars” that don’t bother me too much, but I’ve seen some truly ugly ones out there when I was searching. I’m a picky son-of-a-mother-and-father, appearance is 85% of the game for me. Now I know I could have bought one of the less expensive ones that looked horrible and ended up with one that looked perfect.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Since Mark did the video I started including standoffs for the relay board to avoid clearance issues when the back planes are installed. Standoffs are optional for stock amps. I now use keps nuts which have the lock washer installed on it. As many of you know, the relay board mounts on the output binding posts which avoids drilling the chassis.
Especially like the nut idea.

GaryCooper

Journeyman
Tagline
X usaf electronic tech.
I
My favorite so far are the Rock Monitors. They continue to amaze me. The better the source and amplification, the better they get. I don't know if they will ever be the weak link. If so I hate to think what it would cost to find better than them. Found my first pair of ESS speakers at a rummage sale. Bought them for the great walnut cabinets for $30. They were the Tempest LS4 towers with the "power ring" Tried them out before gutting them and fell in love the sound. Re-foamed and rebuilt the crossovers. Fell down the rabbit hole. Now have numerous pairs of various models throughout the place. Have built some customs with ESS drivers. Funny how many people when they first hear them, stand there in awe listening and then ask what they are.
I had genesis II towers behind my 400 s2 getting pushed by 2000s2 music was so clean it was like being live .

mitscm

New Around These Parts
I guess this is a pool I can actually wade in. Like you, I also consider myself a novice. But I was told by everyone here “If you know which side of the soldering iron to hold; you can White Oak a Phase Linear”. I said “The shiny side right?” so the joke’s on them! But seriously; I would agree with those here who say go all the way! I know a lot of people tell you to forget the 400 and get a 700B, and honestly it’s like that old Monty Python bit SPAM. They all say you need to have that 700B but guess what? You may just not want it! Some people just want their trusty 400 brought to a new pedestal. I also have been told the 400 isn’t as harsh on your ears as a 700 can be. And it’s PLENTY of power. More than you’ll really need. If you can solder well, and know how to read directions thoroughly, then you can save a lot of money and do it yourself. That’s what I did. Just read, read, read a lot on the forum here of others who did their 400 upgrades. And explore the White Oak website. Then ask the right questions here during the build. You’ll find the guys here will be happy to help you. And I’d tell you $850+ and the pride you feel after doing the job yourself and the sound you get when it’s all done; you’ll never go back! Don’t let the naysaysers get ya down. I’ve read a lot of pooping on doing the full-monty on the 400 over the years here, and what it would cost you to buy the core 700, the upgrade parts for a 700, and then pay a guy to do it FOR you could put you well over $2k. I mean have you seen what fleabay going rate is for a core 700B these days? And that’s you paying for 45+ yr old parts you’re just gonna rip out anyway.

I say, you have the PL400 already so half the battle is won. Read a LOT, and consider doing the work yourself. You’ll find the documentation Joe provides is so good, you will feel confidant you can do the job right. I felt uneasy in the beginning too, but once you get in there and see what’s what, it all starts to make sense.

That’s my two pennies also. I hope you go for it!
Well said. No question, replacing rectifier and caps, control board, outputs and adding the protection board - straight forward and big time worth it.

mitscm

New Around These Parts
My favorite so far are the Rock Monitors. They continue to amaze me. The better the source and amplification, the better they get. I don't know if they will ever be the weak link. If so I hate to think what it would cost to find better than them. Found my first pair of ESS speakers at a rummage sale. Bought them for the great walnut cabinets for $30. They were the Tempest LS4 towers with the "power ring" Tried them out before gutting them and fell in love the sound. Re-foamed and rebuilt the crossovers. Fell down the rabbit hole. Now have numerous pairs of various models throughout the place. Have built some customs with ESS drivers. Funny how many people when they first hear them, stand there in awe listening and then ask what they are.
Great to have another ESS fan out there. First listened to ESS AMT 1As at Tech Hifi in 1977 in Camden NJ and never stopped. Have had the Rock Monitors, the 1B bookshelf’s and most recently rebuilt my PL400 specifically for a pair of ESS AMT 1Ds that I rebuilt with parts from Simply Speakers. I get the same reaction :)

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I had a set of 1A's I got through AudioMart around 1979. Had them on college campus with a P/L 400. Roasted a few diaphragms. Sold them and bought JBL4311's which held up better to abuse. About 15 years ago found a pair of 1A's at a thrift store for less than $50. Diaphragms OK. Woofers and radiators needed reconed. Ran them until Ozzie knocked out a diaphragm. Still have them and replacement diaphragm. Haven't done anything with them. Now using JBL4412's.

I got to hang out with a guy on AudioKarma, Echowars, who had a custom speaker system he built with the Heil tweeters. In limited listening they were very good speakers. I think the later ESS speakers rolled off the Heils at a higher frequency than the 1A's and increased their reliability.

I'd love to have a project kit that was designed for the Heils.

mitscm

New Around These Parts
I had a set of 1A's I got through AudioMart around 1979. Had them on college campus with a P/L 400. Roasted a few diaphragms. Sold them and bought JBL4311's which held up better to abuse. About 15 years ago found a pair of 1A's at a thrift store for less than $50. Diaphragms OK. Woofers and radiators needed reconed. Ran them until Ozzie knocked out a diaphragm. Still have them and replacement diaphragm. Haven't done anything with them. Now using JBL4412's.

I got to hang out with a guy on AudioKarma, Echowars, who had a custom speaker system he built with the Heil tweeters. In limited listening they were very good speakers. I think the later ESS speakers rolled off the Heils at a higher frequency than the 1A's and increased their reliability.

If I recall correctly - the crossover on the 1As cut a 1000Hz. the 1Bs (w/12”) lowered the cut to 800Htz. - good question if the ribbon was re-engineered or if to compensate for the 12”... I used to Bi Amp my 1Bs with an SAE crossover at 800 - noticeable difference adjusting between 800 & 1000.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?

Heil Ozzy!