PL-400 DCP and WO light board

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
There's a 90% chance you have some blown semiconductors on the driver board. Most you can check in circuit...

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
There's a 90% chance you have some blown semiconductors on the driver board. Most you can check in circuit...
I’m sure... prepare for lots of questions! I’m also not against a WO driver board if things are hurt bad.

BibbieMok

New Around These Parts
Hi... the problem with the PL-400 is at power up, a race condition exists, if you are unlucky (ie lose) the rails voltage
(75Vdc??) can be latched/clamped onto the spkr line = toasted spkrs. The pheonix site has a superior explaination. Once the amp has
survived power up it's fine, it generally wont toast the spkrs, unless you run it 24/7 in an oven at 200C

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Hi... the problem with the PL-400 is at power up, a race condition exists, if you are unlucky (ie lose) the rails voltage
(75Vdc??) can be latched/clamped onto the spkr line = toasted spkrs. The pheonix site has a superior explaination. Once the amp has
survived power up it's fine, it generally wont toast the spkrs, unless you run it 24/7 in an oven at 200C
The problem was “operator error”. No problems once I set up to turn things in innorioer order (power amp last).

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I heard a 400II go down one time at an outdoor show. I was about 75 yards away form the stage. The roar coming out of the bass bins would make a Taco Bell trip sound like a whisper. My guess is the fault on the power supply caps due to the failure resulted in tons of 120Hz ripple going into the cabinet until the fuses blew.

The band had 3 x 400's on each side of the stage and the bass player had one on his rig. A few years later I was more or less on retainer for these guys. Their road crew was known as the wrecking crew for their propensity for dumb things like forgetting to close the rear door on the uhaul truck.