PL 40 C board on 400 four fin model

Tagline
---
Thanks Ed, that's so cool to see a picture of the person that built the amp. Although after a full WOPL treatment including a new chassis, there is not much left that Ruth would have done. But great to see the history of the amp.
Agreed, very cool!

I tried to determine what mine are by pictures and could only find one, my #2 was a Shelley SN 444-185A

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
There was a Ruth Anderson who worked at Phase Linear. I don't know much about her. She might have been born in 1954....

That photo looks like the staff were all pretty young - average age 20 ~ 21? Not even one crone in accounting?
Amazing to bring together a small group of young folks and teach them to build the best amps in the world. High school class of 73 here and I remember what an idiot I was. A real credit to the creativity and ability to teach at PL.

Last edited:

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Agreed, very cool!

I tried to determine what mine are by pictures and could only find one, my #2 was a Shelley SN 444-185A
Shelley McCollum graduated in 1971. (NOTE: Her high shool yearbook has her listed as Shelly McCollum not Shelley McCollum.)
Shelley's younger sister Sherri McCollum also worked at Phase Linear.

She is #31 in the factory photo link I provided earlier.

Ed

Attachments

Tagline
---
Shelley McCollum graduated in 1971. (NOTE: Her high shool yearbook has her listed as Shelly McCollum not Shelley McCollum.)
Shelley's younger sister Sherri McCollum also worked at Phase Linear.

She is #31 in the factory photo link I provided earlier.

Ed
Wow Thanks! What a neat and unexpected thing to be able to connect in some way to the person who built that amp.

Tagline
---
I always noted the names with amusement but didn't record them in anyway, now I still cant find any name in the amp that was my dads 400 (SN 3956).
looking back through other amps that got white oak guts I saw two others, a Charlie on an early 4 fin 400 and a "BR" on a 400 (SN 17267).

Interesting how much the serial numbers changed, of the 5 PL400's I was looking at, there 4 different SN formats.

I'm dying to know the name from my dads amp:toothy8:, I seem to recall a control board having a name on it but the few I found didn't.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I always noted the names with amusement but didn't record them in anyway, now I still cant find any name in the amp that was my dads 400 (SN 3956).
looking back through other amps that got white oak guts I saw two others, a Charlie on an early 4 fin 400 and a "BR" on a 400 (SN 17267).

Interesting how much the serial numbers changed, of the 5 PL400's I was looking at, there 4 different SN formats.

I'm dying to know the name from my dads amp:toothy8:, I seem to recall a control board having a name on it but the few I found didn't.
Charlie may well have been Charlie Cummings. I know very little about this person. Perhaps born in 1951 and long deceased?

BR may be Barbara Rover or Brad Robison. I do know that Brad worked in the service department with Dean. I will check with Dean and see if Brad ever worked on the production line.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
1984, my Polk Monitor 4 pair is graduation era gear.