PL 40 C board on 400 four fin model

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
PL 400 C board on 400 four fin model

I was about to begin replacing the board in my recently obtained 400 four fin model with a REV C board I got from Glen only "she no feet".

The board that's in this amp is marked PL 400 C and is physically larger than the REV C and has 3 mounting holes for the stand offs not 2.

Am I hooped or relocating one of the stand offs?

EDIT: Thought it read PL 40 C but what looked like a solder blob was the 2nd zero in "400".

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep, you must relocate a standoff. Measure twice and drill once ....

62vauxhall

Tagline
Signature inside: Sue

Thanks Lee. Measured four times just to be sure.

I noticed others posting about finding names inside amps and saw this sticker on a large cap. Thought at first it might be "Lisa" but seeing this pic, seems to definitely be "Sue". Anyone else come across her name?

IMG_3266.jpg

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Thanks Lee. Measured four times just to be sure.

I noticed others posting about finding names inside amps and saw this sticker on a large cap. Thought at first it might be "Lisa" but seeing this pic, seems to definitely be "Sue". Anyone else come across her name?

View attachment 28762
There were a couple of Sue's who worked at Phase Linear. Sue Holland and Sue Pickens. Here are their high school photos from 1973/4.

The first photo is Sue Holland. The second is Sue Pickens.

Ed

Attachments

62vauxhall

Tagline
There were a couple of Sue's who worked at Phase Linear. Sue Holland and Sue Pickens. Here are their high school photos from 1973/4.

The first photo is Sue Holland. The second is Sue Pickens.

Ed
Would she have been a final tester or an assembler? If whoever got to "sign their work" was responsible for the wiring, it was very neatly done in this amplifier. If that was so, whichever Sue it was, she created nice, crisp 90 degree bends to follow the chassis and made liberal use of zap straps.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Would she have been a final tester or an assembler? If whoever got to "sign their work" was responsible for the wiring, it was very neatly done in this amplifier. If that was so, whichever Sue it was, she created nice, crisp 90 degree bends to follow the chassis and made liberal use of zap straps.
Sue more than likely would have been an assembler. Quality Control I believe was most likely done by the guys.

What is the serial number on your amplifier?

Ed

62vauxhall

Tagline
I'm in a tow truck from 6AM to 9PM so will post that when I get home. I am interested to learn what that tells you.

Since it has (soon will have had) a PL-400-C board, I thought it might be an early example. The sweeping curves of some traces make them look hand drawn.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Mine was "Becky." There's a green dot just above the thermal cutoff with her name.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Had a lull after a job, was craving a peanut butter sandwich and close to home so popped in.

SN is 343-323.
The first number 3 is the month of March. The second number 4 signifies the model 400. (NOTE: This was different for the 4000 preamp.) The next number 3 is the year 1973. -323 indicates that it was the 323rd unit built that month. Since your unit was built a bit earlier than when the Sue's I know graduated, there may be a Sue I don't know about or they were working there after school.

I found a few more Sue's on my list.
Sue Arnold (later Sue Bernard) graduated around the same time frame.
Sue Johnson (Martin) is someone who worked there that I don't know much about.

Ed

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Mine was "Becky." There's a green dot just above the thermal cutoff with her name.
There were (2) Becky's that worked at Phase Linear I know about.

Becky Goldstein graduated in 1971. (So if you have a early serial number my bet would be that she would have assembled it.)

Rebecaa Tanner also known as Becky graduated in 1977.

Ed

Attachments

Last edited:

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
My 700b was a "Ruth", unknown SN, tag unreadable, but seems like an early one (non cam off switch, metal knobs).
There was a Ruth Anderson who worked at Phase Linear. I don't know much about her. She might have been born in 1954 and also have worked at Boeing????

I posted a Phase Linear Christmas Card photo from 1973 a while ago on the Phoenix forum.
Here is the link: http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/showthread.php/5813-Phase-Linear-(Lynnwood-Washington)-Factory-Photos
Anyway, this group photo includes Ruth Anderson (#14), Sue Pickens (#30), Becky Goldstein (#32), and Sue Arnold (#38)

Ed

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Tagline
There was a Ruth Anderson who worked at Phase Linear. I don't know much about her. She might have been born in 1954....

That photo looks like the staff were all pretty young - average age 20 ~ 21? Not even one crone in accounting?

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks Ed, that's so cool to see a picture of the person that built the amp. Although after a full WOPL treatment including a new chassis, there is not much left that Ruth would have done. But great to see the history of the amp.