PL 200 Help Please!

Schmurpy

Journeyman
Tagline
If it isn't broke, fix it until it is.
If one comes along under the right circumstances. I'am trying to do trades instead of buying, but my restored MCS 3125 isn't getting a lot of interest and I am happy to keep that beast for my shop system.
Do you still have that 3125?

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
I saw that smoked 220 Ohm resistor on the display board. I had some of those on 200 Gen 1 amp also. Each channel has three of them that form resistor voltage divider for the display. I replaced them with "flameproof" versions. In my case, I traced the fault to overvoltage coming from the one of the amp modules. I was getting about 63 VDC on the ouitput line with no input applied. I found a number of things, including a brocked tracew and a bad ground. I had previoulsy changed output tnasistors, drivers, anfd the inverter transistor as well as 3 shorted diodes. I am not the first to work on this unit, and I am still not done with it.

I have output as seen on the LED meters for each channel, which tracks the input. The transistor do not get warm and there is a small offset voltage (blelow 10mV if I recall() on the outputs, under no load and no input. I will re-measure it again, and if okay, proceed with bias and stability checks. The protection relay does nothing yet - Apparently no voltage at the coil, but the diodes and transistors assocated with the circuit have tested okay. I also need to find a pair of 3mm LED's that need more power than Vishays' I got from Mouser. Two wer mecahnically damaged, and the replacements are much brighter, needing less current.

Stay tuned. I am getting close with mine.

Last edited:

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
Okay - I replaced all of the LEDS - I like the brightness.... I have run audio through both channels into an actual speaker - and that part works!!!!

What doesn't work is the protection circuit. The cause - an open coil in the relay. Anyone have one of those they's like to sell? It is a 1/4 HP/10 Amp DPDT relay, but only the wipers and Normally Open contacts are used. Coil says 120 VAC 60 HZ, but its being fed by a full wave rectifier of around 55 VDC. Funny about that stuff.

It was very cool to hear this thing sing after all these years. I cannot wait to finish the repairs, button it all up and pair it with my C-4000 premp.

Last edited:

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
The transistors connected to the relay test fine. There is a suspect 10 uF / 100 V electrolytic (swollen seal) that I will probably replace too - I do not have an LCR meter or capactor tester (yet), so I can only do the coarsest of test with a DMM, on them. I did see the charge/discharge curves on my scope as I was probing this section during operation.

I did notice something unusual during frequency generator tests - The LEDs will pulsate in brightness at certain applied frequencies. I suspect this to be a hetrodying beat against the power supply, but it could be something totally different. There were no indications of anything amiss with either applied input or measured output waveforms on the scope or as heard from the speaker. If the filter cap on this part of the circuit is weak I guess it could be responsible, especially given the new LEDS.

Any ideas on this or is it normal operational behavior?

pennysdad

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
I'm gonna try one of these things from that 'Bay place. It's an add on to the back of 'any' amp, and remotely 12VAC powered.
A short term 'fix' maybe.
Don't all burn me at once, but interested in opinions.
Bottom line is, it's an affordable way out and I won't have to pull stuff to bits otherwise and it can 'float' between several amps that I 'play' with.

Attachments

mlucitt

I'm gonna try one of these things from that 'Bay place. It's an add on to the back of 'any' amp, and remotely 12VAC powered.
I did that before I knew about Watts Abundant and his most excellent DC Protect Relay/Delay Board. I even installed a small separate 12V transformer to power the Chinese speaker disconnector in my PL700B (the 6V lighting voltage was not high enough). It worked until the relay got stuck and then no more tunes...
You get what you pay for.

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
I did that before I knew about Watts Abundant and his most excellent DC Protect Relay/Delay Board. I even installed a small separate 12V transformer to power the Chinese speaker disconnector in my PL700B (the 6V lighting voltage was not high enough). It worked until the relay got stuck and then no more tunes...
You get what you pay for.
Well, everything else I've plugged in lately, has smoked, why not this!
I seem to be having a real bad run.
Oh well, shit happens... :(

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
Like this..I've got a few..
How long should these relays last? Since I received the unit in a failed state and others have obviously worked on it, I have no idea if the part I found in there is correct. The installed one is an apparently unsuppresed coil designed to work on AC voltages, but is fed with a DC voltage of apporximately 50% of the coil rating through current limiting resistors on both legs. I may have measured that voltage with respect to the wrong reference point, but it still seemed strange to me.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I have no idea how long they last, and to how they are driven, I've never even looked at a schematic. have you actually measured DC voltage on the relay coil terminals?

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
I have no idea how long they last, and to how they are driven, I've never even looked at a schematic. have you actually measured DC voltage on the relay coil terminals?
Yes, the 55 VDC value I stated earlier was a measurement at the coil. The coil of mine measured as open circuit.

The coil I got to replace it has series chokes on its terminals. This one is apparently from one of the later models that do not have the LED meters, so it has the protection circuit on a small PCB with the same parts as appears in the center of my unit’s display board.

I wonder if I should graft those chokes into my unit.

Attachments