PL 1000 NOT for sale

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
If MY bill looks like this, I DO NOT want to know what yours is!

I can afford $25, yes, but it’s no longer ten years ago… (I just spent $30 on records today, before I saw this love note from our esteemed government)

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
I can afford $25, yes, but it’s no longer ten years ago… (I just spent $30 on records today, before I saw this love note from our esteemed government)
We are all going to wish it was ten years ago in a few more months.....this economic shit is about to get real.
Know the difference between a Recession and a Depression ?
In a Recession it's only your neighbor who can't pay his bills !!!!

George S.

Opened up my new to me 1000 S2 and it's a parts unit. Someone tried to recap it, and really screwed it up. They tore a main filter cap pad off the board and didn't notice or fix the trace connection.
Then it appears they tried to find the issue by scraping the masking off various parts of the board. There are scratched and bridged traces everywhere.
Also found a factory defect broken trace at the Low Frequency Calibration pot.
I'm not going to spend any time on this unit. Parts. I'll look for another.

Attachments

George S.

Yup, I'm disappointed, but this old stuff is always a gamble, Joe's "box of chocolates". I have plenty of other things to do anyway. I'll use this one in the meantime to make a list of caps. Quite a few low value electrolytics that can be replaced with films.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yup, I'm disappointed, but this old stuff is always a gamble, Joe's "box of chocolates". I have plenty of other things to do anyway. I'll use this one in the meantime to make a list of caps. Quite a few low value electrolytics that can be replaced with films.
Lots of butchers out there George...unfortunately. Sam, rightfully, complains about this from time to time...

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
George - I found a list of electrolytics someone posted on AK from their S2 restore and did all mine a few years ago. Also replaced all the op-amps and diodes with current day parts. Having a Hakko makes you want to replace everything. The 1000 S2 is in the tape loop and certainly adds brilliance as well as restores impact to compressed music.

George S.

George - I found a list of electrolytics someone posted on AK from their S2 restore and did all mine a few years ago. Also replaced all the op-amps and diodes with current day parts. Having a Hakko makes you want to replace everything. The 1000 S2 is in the tape loop and certainly adds brilliance as well as restores impact to compressed music.
Cool! I'd ask for the list, but gonna compile my own. Recently got a sizable box of silver mica caps that my father collected starting in the 50s, many sizes and most are unused, mostly mil-spec 1%, so going to try use use as many as possible. Then use films, followed by electrolytics.
I've got plenty of the soft recovery diodes, and I'll do the snubbers using the scope and Bell Ringer jig as I did the PL2000 S2.
In the meantime, I'll probably fix all the traces on the unit once I tear it down to read the cap values, just to see if I can and learn a little more about it.
I do enjoy vinyl much more than digital, so looking forward to getting a good unit up and running. Glad you like the PL1000 S2. Thanks.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Cool! I'd ask for the list, but gonna compile my own. Recently got a sizable box of silver mica caps that my father collected starting in the 50s, many sizes and most are unused, mostly mil-spec 1%, so going to try use use as many as possible. Then use films, followed by electrolytics.
I've got plenty of the soft recovery diodes, and I'll do the snubbers using the scope and Bell Ringer jig as I did the PL2000 S2.
In the meantime, I'll probably fix all the traces on the unit once I tear it down to read the cap values, just to see if I can and learn a little more about it.
I do enjoy vinyl much more than digital, so looking forward to getting a good unit up and running. Glad you like the PL1000 S2. Thanks.
Do you have an SACD rig George?

George S.

Do you have an SACD rig George?
No, and I did look at them when you all were talking about them a good while back.
Also looked at the media for sale on Ebay.
But, really didn't do much research. At the time the wife was throwing out piles of her CDs, and all the cassette tapes were long gone. Still had the records though. They fit the late 70s vibe of the system. Think I'd want to invest in more vinyl or download more digital files before moving onto another source. There's just something special about vinyl, even if it's full of clicks and pops.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
No, and I did look at them when you all were talking about them a good while back.
Also looked at the media for sale on Ebay.
But, really didn't do much research. At the time the wife was throwing out piles of her CDs, and all the cassette tapes were long gone. Still had the records though. They fit the late 70s vibe of the system. Think I'd want to invest in more vinyl or download more digital files before moving onto another source. There's just something special about vinyl, even if it's full of clicks and pops.
SACD will give you vinyl without the clicks and pops

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I look forward to your rebuild project...I might even consider peeling the covers off mine again.

Dutch54

Journeyman
They were cheap training mules....thank god....
If you are selling off your stock of PL1000 what would you sell one for, I am interested in one, I have a couple of PL700b's that I would like to get up and running, and would love to use the PL1000 with.