PL 1000 NOT for sale

Rob

New Around These Parts
I know nothing about this unit. It was given to me and all I can see is that it powers up. I have never hooked it up or did any testing.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
These are great units, boards suffer from the same "itis" all of the PL boards do, (trace liftitis, cold solderitis) but I have one running in one of my systems.
You need a Tape In/Tape Out on your pre, to hook it up correctly. I use it to remove noise (hiss, crackle etc.) from older recordings
on vinyl. For that it works like magic. I have owned mine for almost 40 years, updated it as time allowed, and always called it "the magic noise box".

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Hello George,

Wow, that is a great article. They did a lot of research to test the PL 1000.

The proof is really in the listening, and I am quoting how to adjust the Autocorrelator here:

"Autocorrelator

• Put on your recording, kick-in the Autocorrelator, turn the Auto Correlator knob all the way clockwise, and listen for the noise. Turn up the treble temporarily if it helps you hear the noise.
  • As you turn the control counterclockwise, you'll hear a point at which the noise suddenly vanishes, but the music is untouched. Turn it farther, and the music suddenly will sound duller.
  • Leave the knob halfway between these points."
It’s that easy, and you can quickly change from “noise” to clear playback just by pushing in the “AutoCorre”, button. The adjustment above varies (sometimes a lot) from recording to recording, so each must be dialed in each time, but it is very simple. That’s why I call it the Magic Noise Box. Used to really blow friends away with it, but I have a lot of late 50’s and early 60’s jazz, some of which I bought well used. The PL 1000 will take all of the hiss and crackle out of them, and just as the article says, it does not affect the music at all.

I was surprised when I got it, how much better it is than the Series II PL4000 Preamp with the built in Auto-Correlator in it. I have a couple of those (I think we all do in the back of a closet!), and used them when they were still relatively new. They worked but not like the PL 1000. I have my PL and Carver stuff in the walnut cases, and it looks great in the system that I have it hooked into. Cool addition that adds a lot when I need it.

Phase Linear 1000.jpg

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
I have heavily modified my PL1000 using the above referenced article (post #4) and some other tricks I learned here and there. It works very well and reduces noise on everything except CDs. It was designed and built before CDs existed widely and therefore does not reach into that noise domain.
For anything tape, vinyl, tuner, or other analog source; it is truly a "Magic Box". The only other analog noise reduction unit that is comparable is the SAE 5000A. For analog vinyl, it is a "Miracle Box".

Mark

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
I do agree !
Further considerations :
- with FM broacasts is not so magic
- add a 39 on KOhm on Peak Unlimiter threshold pot
( to adjust to range )
- check all caps ( they must be all 50v and not 35 V )
- Replace soon all RCA connectors !!!
- Series 2 has 0 / 6 dB gain
- Carver C 4000 has 2 other filters for high frequencies
and manual and automatic correlation threshold
( It partially fixes the problem with FM ).
- Dbx 128 and 118 works very well , but
with 1. 3 / 1.4 expansion ratio max .
- These kind of devices now are very useful
to compress dynamic range with new movie soundtracks
Ciao
Marco
P.S: I' m happy owner of 2 X PL 4000 S1 , PL 1000 S1 , Carver C 4000 ,
Dbx 128 and 118 .

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Just paid for a PL1000 S2. Been reading and thinking about these for a long time. I really kind of hate to add anything extra inline, but I enjoy listening to old often scratchy records. It'll be interesting going through it and seeing if it lives up to it's reputation.