Pioneer Sweetie

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
This afternoon I found this nice sweetie in a thriftstore for an affordable price:

Although a bit dusty, it works flawlessly and is in mint condition. No scratches on the frontpanel and no damage on the wooden top of it!

This Sweetie from 1974 is on the bench right now and I just replaced some bulbs:

Now, it's probably NO coincidence I found the receiver with nearly the same tuningscale as I've used a while ago for the artwork of Daren's mixtape.....

The rest of the work will be fun: cleaning and reassembling!

Last edited:

Dazen1

Cool.

I'll let you get on with the restoration while I listen to my copy of "Rocking Radio"...

Miracle Mile

I really like the look of the light-up tuner frequency display and meter. Cool retro look!
I always liked these displays and this one is certainly fun to have!
It's incredible how good this FM tuner works. Even without an attached antenna it will pick up some stations with the maximum of signal.
Will try it with some speakers when all the work is done, but I've tested it with a pair of cans, and the sound of this sweety is smooth and warm.

Yes, at last a real "Rocking Radio"!

To be continued.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Miles: Nice old receiver. I just picked up one (SX-434) at last year's Innovative Audio Garage Sale. The whole stack you see pictured was courtesy of an annual event at the Garage Sale called the "All You Can Haul Back To Your Car in An Armload For $25."

When I saw the J-card for your "Rockin' Radio" mix, I thought something looked familiar with the tuning dial, but I just couldn't quite place it. Mystery solved! I hope you get your SX-424 tiddled up and plug those Pioneer vintage headphones into it for the ultimate classic shot. The receiver looks great, already.

Nando.

Last edited:

Miracle Mile

Job done!

Cleaned it up, replaced all the lightbulbs, fuses and the stereo indicator light by new ones and did some tests:

This Pioneer baby is sounding very nice!

I will hook up some small bookshelf speakers to it this weekend.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
My very first Pioneer receiver was an SX-525, which returned to my home after a friend had her for seven years and she'll be getting some TLC soon.

Congratulations, the early 70s models are really fun!

Robroy

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Back in the day I sold hi-fi for Jafco. They had just come out with the SX-434 when I started. My parents still own the one I sold them. Those things were a steal. Pioneer was a real sleeper brand at that time. They are still my favorite receiver from the 70's with the exception of the Hitachi monster that is my absolute favorite.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Now, is that the real reason you have the receiver, Miles. That's one of those saucy ads that can pull in the younger crowd.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Back in the day I sold hi-fi for Jafco. They had just come out with the SX-434 when I started. My parents still own the one I sold them. Those things were a steal. Pioneer was a real sleeper brand at that time. They are still my favorite receiver from the 70's with the exception of the Hitachi monster that is my absolute favorite.
These little receivers were a bargain looking at my old stereo magazine ads. But, I can imagine when you had a taste of the small wattage receivers, you were looking to upgrade to the bigger ones, all the way up to the top of the line. Did you sell many of the bigger Pioneer receivers such as SX-10XX, SX-12XX?

Nando.

Miracle Mile

Now, is that the real reason you have the receiver, Miles?

Nando.
It is Nando.... :mrgreen:

Getting back to an earlier post of you in here:

I think you did a hell of a job carrying this to your car in one armload knowing your not one of the tallest persons. :thumbup:

I just hooked up two Minimus 7 speakers to the Pioneer and it sounds sweet!

I still have two pairs of these (bought them new in 1987 or so) and they seem to be indestructible.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Miles: I got goaded into doing this by on-lookers, as the last thing I need is more gear. As well as you think I might have done, this guy made two trips to his truck:

I have my original Realistic Minimus 7s, too. I have since picked up a second pair. Did you know those featured Pioneer drivers? I had to replace a woofer, in one of the second set, with an NOS driver I found at Radio Shack years ago, and the woofer was stamped a Pioneer.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Daren: The ad was spot on. I might have a bit more stowed away in the vintage receiver category, but Miles has me beat when it comes to headphones.

Nando.

Miracle Mile

I have my original Realistic Minimus 7s, too. I have since picked up a second pair. Did you know those featured Pioneer drivers? I had to replace a woofer, in one of the second set, with an NOS driver I found at Radio Shack years ago, and the woofer was stamped a Pioneer.

Nando.
That must be the reason they fit perfect to the SX424!

I have also another pair of speakers looking quite familiar to the Minimus 7's:

The TEAC LS-X8's, these ones are also sounding lovely.