Pioneer SA-520 hums The Electric Company vs Sound Of Silence

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Re: Pioneer SA-520 hums The Electric Company vs Sound Of Sil

Well, tonight I hooked up the CV's to 'er. Yeah... this lil amp "can"... :thumbright:

Steven - I get the input dual-trannies tomorrow I think. I'll stick 'em in, test it, and it should be on it's way to you this weekend.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?

Ok, done deal. With the dual Q's replaced, we're getting 4mV right channel, 1mV left on the offset. Listening test was good. Power test was pretty good too - It did about 40 per channel before clipping.

In the box and out the door it goes... Enjoy!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

WOW---Big improvement!!

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?

laatsch55 said:
WOW---Big improvement!!
Yep, was pretty good there! I think too that the replacements were "G" models whereas the originals were "F" models. Higher guaranteed gain with the "G"'s... dunno if that helped or not.. hehe

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable

Jerry, thanks for the hard work and I'll be looking for it with the tracking number you sent!

I now have my D7000, 101 disc file changer, CS-A31s and surround speakers running up front here at the entertainment towers/computer table, with more hookups to go.

orange

Tagline
I got the SA Saturday morning from Fedex and took a nap. I was tired. I awoke around 6 and got it out, hooked it in to the audio outfor the bedroom DTV converter and listened to some of ACL and two Paul McCartney specials on PBS, halfway through Pearl Jam was when I set it up through my Sony headphones. By a repeat of the Citi Field opening concert I was serenading the neighbors as I got the speakers on, my CS-33s. No musical programming but a really nice end credits to make it show of it. I played the Moondance CD...I don't have the voice for Moondance, don't feel comfortable with it.

Football was awfully nice.

I have an awful mess to clean up for now. I'm pretty satisfied with it. Thank you, Jerry!

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
jbeckva , i send you PW about my SA850
Yep I saw it :hello1:

That was 3 years ago, tho... I dunno if I even have the schematic laying around anymore, let alone what I did to it hehe. I'd be lucky to remember where I was last week, sometimes.

BUT..

Follow this thread here closely.. it should give you information you need. TA whadda whadda? Oh, that's the display driver. I don't think I had any issues with that.. just the components that went kaputz.

Yeah, those 2SA1943/2SC5200's for the outputs worked real good. Basically there is a hole premade for part of the old tranny retainer that works wonders for a typical TO-220 transistor - Use it to set the screw that comes with a typical TO 220 mounting kit, and use the kit to mount the new outputs like you would normally.

(all I know.. really.. hehe)

orange

Tagline
Still driving my Polks and playing my TX-9100.