Pioneer PL-570 Turntable Upgrade

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Doing a face lift on a customers PL-570 TT. It's not only getting a fresh Rosewood Veneer (the original is Vinyl wall paper shit), It'll get fresh electrolytics, and cleaned and lubed, a new set of RCA cables (with jacks installed on the back), an IEC connector for 110V coming in, and have the cover polished to get all the scratches out. I'm in the process of disassembly right now and they are real FUN to take apart. Here is a shot of what it looks like at the beginning. It's a 10 footer right now. If you look close, you can see the vinyl sluffing up front by the control panel. This will take some serious hours. Veneering is a bear.

Pioneer TT.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Bummer. No before photos to help put it back together.
I took a bunch of pics before disassemble so I could forward them to you when you are ready. I got mine re-veneered and before I stain/finish I laid the platter and controls to get a feel. Looks good so far. I got the first coat of poly applied. I'll post a pic tomorrow

TT.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Just fighting getting the Poly to dry now. Don't know if it's the heat/humidity, the oils in the Rosewood, or the Poly being old. May have to wipe off the first coat since it's tacky and not drying. A good rubdown with acetone and a fresh pint of the stain/oil I'm using may fix my ills. I used the same Rosewood on my speakers but I used tung oil and didn't have to worry about Poly drying.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Just couldn't get that first coat to cure so I stripped it down and bought some fresh Verathane/stain and gonna try this again. Just laid down the SECOND first coat. Hopefully this stuff dry's according to the can and I can get a couple coats on today. If all goes right, I'll post a pic or two. It does look nice though. #0000 Steel Wool between coats.... Another week or so??? Then have to assemble.....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
SHIT!!! 24 hours and the damn thing is still tacky. So it wasn't from old poly..... Must be the oils in the Rosewood veneer. I have some left over house paint... Don't laugh...... I'm not going to waste much more time on a cheap turntable......

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
SHIT!!! 24 hours and the damn thing is still tacky. So it wasn't from old poly..... Must be the oils in the Rosewood veneer. I have some left over house paint... Don't laugh...... I'm not going to waste much more time on a cheap turntable......
You should skip the poly for stuff like this Perry and go to lacquer. I like working with lacquer so much better for good wood projects. I know it harms the environment and all but you cannot beat it. Sands great too in between coats.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
If it's of any help;

I was recently encouraged to use lacquer by someone who has done a fair bit of re-finishing. He told told me where he gets his materials. As a matter of fact, it's all they sell.

Once I explained my project, a baltic birch ply turntable base, the guy at the store said I should use Poly. This is what he sold me - oil base, self leveling, dries (not cures) in two hours. I did five or six coats in 48 hours and it turned out pretty good.

IMG_4134.JPG IMG_4136.JPG