PIONEER CLD-919

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
This Steven had a Pix here and in his birthplace (they're trying to save that one from the wrecking ball, the other is a warehouse for the furniture store next door but they kept the board from the marquee for advertising sales...eeew, the sight of the bricked off windows after the neon is gone)...

and a Twin theatre built from what had been the ROXY until 1965...

My dream is to restore the ROXY, whether it ever played another movie or not...as much a fantasy as when I saw XANADU there 34 years ago and Kira got me too.

But I did see Guardians Of The Galaxy at the Reel (which of 7-8 rooms it was I have no idea now).

That is why the PIX and ROXY will never see a projection again...they built a Cineplex near all the stuff and Walmart, Kmart, the highway sucking stuff next to the exits that almost killed downtown and emptied a really nice mall (the one I want to be buried next to as we fo indeed have a cemetery across the street from the far end of the mall).

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Very nice, Steve. What was the North American equivalent to your CLD-919? I use a Pioneer Reference CLD player in my home entertainment system. I love watching the old James Bond movies.

Nando.
North America got a CLD-919 in black, same plastic façade with vinyl covered lid as many others.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Do you have a link to that N.A. model of Pioneer CLD-919? I didn't see one in my search.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Oops, that was a 909!

I have no idea...mudshark, what did you do to use a 100V Japanese model? Is it multivoltage capable?

US mains is often 125 or slightly more with variances along the grid, not really 117-120. Unless you have a somewhat lower mains or a stepdown transformer that should make it harder to use the player as it would be maybe 20% overvoltaged.

Nando this is your link to a really good LD site with forums and a disc list and search page as well...

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/default.htm

Last edited:

mudshark

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
LOWTECH REDNECK
Yea the guy I was dealing with in Japan included a couple step down transformers. If you think about it all those who would be visiting the U.S. from Japan would be picking them up before their trip, they wouldn't replace all their gadgets just to come across, so readily available there. I kinda had a feeling you were mistaken on the model, I did a lot of research to find something I felt was visibly compatible with the SX gear and the 919 was the only one and was never in circulation here.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I do like the champagne finish of your CLD-919 over my CLD-95, Steven. Very classy! The only champagne-finish component I have is my Esoteric V-9000 cassette deck, which I use regularly.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I thought you had a Champagne RG-9?
Now, how would you know that? Of course, I do... I got it from you. See what happens when I begin to lose track of what's here. I may park the RG-9 right alongside my champagne-coloured cassette deck.

The Pioneer RG-9 is as new out-of-the-box as they come.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Correct you are, Lee. And how could I not help but take claim to it. The only thing that prevented me for patching it in was I was about to reconfigure all my stereo components with new ICs once I was ready. I am almost there for ICs as I picked up some more last week.

Nando.

mudshark

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
LOWTECH REDNECK
Yea ... I agree all these vintage components really look nice, its just my thinking but its too bad that silver seems to have gone by the wayside. In 04 when I picked up the Denon AVR 3805 and DVD 3910 I could have had black or silver, it was silver hands down. Glad I did it when I did, I think in 05 they dropped the silver option. That seems to be pretty good gear as well, haven't had any problems with it, and I guess the SACD is real nice I only have one though, Wish You Were Here, but its impressive. Wonderful stuff .... Audio