Pics of your Favorite Cassette Tapes

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
No, Lee. But I will pass it onto Geri - she's the Crown fan. I am more a Courvoisier sipper. And I manged to keep with the thread and show off a tape, too. Fog on the glass because I like it heated.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I think it's a Clearaudio record clamp. It came with the Ariston Audio RD-80 turntable I had.

Nando.

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I found these when going through what cassette tapes I had last September. Sold them to someone in Nova Scotia for $120.

IMG_4149.JPG

And then these went to a flipper just around the corner a few weeks ago for $75.

IMG_4365.JPG

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I've got all but three of those varieties.

Tagline
A clear conscience is actually a bad memory.
Hi All.

Lately i have been having some fun with Vintage tapes, and can let you know that i love the 1978 / 1980 Sony and TDK Ranges of tapes... Especially the Sony AHF and TDK AD / OD ranges.... hard to find the OD and the AHF... but for a type 1 they record really well.

Of course i love lots of other tape... Metals, That's, Maxell... But my bag at the moment are these! I have been sending out mix tapes using TDK AD or Sony AFH tapes....

PC

Attachments

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I found these when going through what cassette tapes I had last September. Sold them to someone in Nova Scotia for $120.

View attachment 38586

And then these went to a flipper just around the corner a few weeks ago for $75.
Walked into a local record shop a week or so ago and was shocked to find Metal SR 60's still for sale. They had boxes of them...

orange

Tagline
Hi All.

Lately i have been having some fun with Vintage tapes, and can let you know that i love the 1978 / 1980 Sony and TDK Ranges of tapes... Especially the Sony AHF and TDK AD / OD ranges.... hard to find the OD and the AHF... but for a type 1 they record really well.

Of course i love lots of other tape... Metals, That's, Maxell... But my bag at the moment are these! I have been sending out mix tapes using TDK AD or Sony AFH tapes....

PC
I've never seen a Sony CDa(alpha) before but I have all of the others except Metallic, early Chrome plus I have FeCr from early to and NOS late C-60. I have new and used BASF Ferrichrom-III as well.

mlucitt

I heard a story from rocker Billy Idol, he said that in the 80's the recording industry had low quality tape and high quality tape. When you recorded a session it usually went onto low quality tape. Billy and his agent pitched a fit and finally won a contractual action to have his music recorded onto the highest quality tape available at the time.
He went on to say that if you can find one of his original cassette tapes, it will rival the quality of almost every other pre-recorded tape available. I've never seen one, but it would be an interesting bit of historical tape trivia. Just like the very first US pre-recorded cassette tape... know what artist was on that cassette tape back in 1966? Johnny Mathis.

orange

Tagline
The album in question was released on 'chrome' or a premium cobalt/ferric combination, as were several titles near the end of the run of the original factory cassette era. I would figure that digital bin duplication was involved (WEA called it 'Digalog' and others employed 'Sprinter' was it)?

What is ironic to me is that I don't think it was about overall better quality as much as being able to make better duplication and keep the same scale of speed and economy.

In the end his label, Chrysalis was a victim of the collapse of the recording industry into itself. It was distributed by EMI.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Sony AHF 60

I received a mix tape from Shaun, yesterday. It's a recording of some classic tunes on a classic Sony AHF 60. First deck used for playback is my Sony TC-K7 II, which is a nice match for this tape. Thank you, Shaun!

20200107_170216_zpsqycyqxcj.jpg

20200107_170548_zpspfhdlgqy.jpg

Nando.

Tagline
A clear conscience is actually a bad memory.
Hi Nando - A match made in heaven i would say!

I was getting worried in case it went astray, never did get to the bottom of the large box i sent to you last year.....

Your Sony decks look just 'right' together...

Shaun