Pics of your Favorite Cassette Tapes

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Vince,
Thank you for your kind offer. I would not trouble you to concern yourself with my shipment overseas. Interesting though, how the Internet has shrunk the world we live in, such that we can discuss this as if you were my neighbor next door. And you are on the other side of the planet.

Thanks!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hey, Jim - it has been awhile since we last saw you post, here. I knew any discussion about TDK would catch your interest, as you have got quite a collection of them.

I did grab some NOS TDK MA-XGs along with some Maxell MX cassettes not long ago from Innovative Audio. I was fortunate to have these tapes set aside for me as there was huge interest in them. I had put a cassette deck up for consignment sale to pay for them.

20210529_114456.jpg

Nando.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
Vince,
Thank you for your kind offer. I would not trouble you to concern yourself with my shipment overseas. Interesting though, how the Internet has shrunk the world we live in, such that we can discuss this as if you were my neighbor next door. And you are on the other side of the planet.

Thanks!
but , actually, since you told it's an irreplaceable recording (which is the most important point here) , and seeing how things are going lately with abroad shipments, my worries are related just to the risk that if the cassettes get lost during shipment, you will lose the opportunity to listen to them forever... and that would be just sad!

And even if that other tape from USA to here i mentioned before, in the end, arrived here safely (but after an incredibly long time) , it happened at the very beginning of 2021 that a good old friend of mine from UK sent me one of his cassette decks so that I could repair it for him and, unfortunately, that parcel with the cassette deck never arrived here!
In the end, since I had 3 of those same decks into my own personal collection , once we were just sure that my friend's deck got lost during shipment, I simply packed one of mine (which was just restored but it wasn't seeing much use here) and sent it to him!
And, since he also had yet another identical deck in need of serious repairs and with some bad cosmetic damage (a dent and a bending at the front panel due to a previous shipment mishandling joined with bad packaging) , just today he happened to send it to me... after all, I can need it just as a deck to get spare parts for my other identical ones then for me it's not a problem that it has some serious cosmetic damage while, for my friend, this one was a useless item... in the end, we both found a nice way to both recover from that one which got lost during the shipment... but, hey, a cassette deck of a very common model/brand is easily replaceable... while your cassette recordings are irreplaceable... that's the difference.

So, finding someone closer to you who might make the digital capture would be the easiest, fastest and safest option for you... but if you won't just find anybody who can do that on your side of the ocean then, please, feel free to contact me. ;)

Cheers,

Vince.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Hey, Jim - it has been awhile since we last saw you post, here. I knew any discussion about TDK would catch your interest, as you have got quite a collection of them.

I did grab some NOS TDK MA-XGs along with some Maxell MX cassettes not long ago from Innovative Audio. I was fortunate to have these tapes set aside for me as there was huge interest in them. I had put a cassette deck up for consignment sale to pay for them.

View attachment 52832

Nando.
Good to hear from you Nando!

Yeah, I passed up a 1986 MA-XG for $100 a few weeks ago I was considering, but that’s a bit much for a display piece.

And there are a few on eBay (for more) but they are not the US market versions.

I decided I wanted to do a 1986 “full line catalogue” display. They will all fit into one of the old denim TDK carrying cases I have.

The SA-XG is proving to be the most elusive, so consider this a wanted request.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Good to hear from you Nando!

Yeah, I passed up a 1986 MA-XG for $100 a few weeks ago I was considering, but that’s a bit much for a display piece.

And there are a few on eBay (for more) but they are not the US market versions.

I decided I wanted to do a 1986 “full line catalogue” display. They will all fit into one of the old denim TDK carrying cases I have.

The SA-XG is proving to be the most elusive, so consider this a wanted request.
Jim: I have an unsealed, but unused TDK MA-XG, I will sell to you for $75 CAD. I got it with the bulk cassette purchase I made at Innovative Audio. I will post a photo of it, later.

Recently, I bought another TDK MA-XG (unsealed, but unused) and Sony Metal Master from Gary (62vauxhall), so I can let one go.

Nando.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
OMG! :oops:

seeing how prices skyrocketed even more these latest couple years, I am just happy that I was so lucky to find so many unsold NOS blanks for very cheap at the old shops here about 10 years ago, to the point that I don't buy a blank tape since year 2013... and even if since 2013 I am only using what I have, then I am only "depleting" my collection of sealed blanks, my stash is still ridiculously huge! :D

Will need at least the rest of my life, if not more, to really use them all... but, hey, I am not in a hurry...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Thank you Nando!

Let me know if you need anything. I have a used Sony metal tape I believe you like that flavor. Some early TDK used as well. I’ll get a care package together for you…

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thank you Nando!

Let me know if you need anything. I have a used Sony metal tape I believe you like that flavor. Some early TDK used as well. I’ll get a care package together for you…
Sure, if you want to do a trade, I can do that, too, Jim. You may as well PM your mailing address to me rather than me looking for it in my files. I will post pictures of the TDK MA-XG, by tomorrow, to ensure it's the one you want.

Nando.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Working on the naked house… every shingle I recycle has to be cleaned and squared up. Most are going on inside out due to their warpage. I’m hoping to finish today but may not.

Hey, welcome back from the dead! It is looking good, though. I can see why you've not been around too much - that's some serious detail work you're into. Are you in a historic neighborhood, per chance? Hope all is well in CT.

And bringing this back around to the discussion of favorite tapes, I fear my not laying up NOS cassette stock when I was reeling in the years will soon leave me with a single favorite tape: ATR Type I because I'm not gonna pay current prices for the NOS stuff now. Nashville Tape Supply has them for $50 for a box of ten - either C-60 or C-90. I will learn to love Type I tapes.

Truth be told, though, I've actually been pretty impressed with the two or three I've purchased over the past few years. It won't be hard to adjust.

Bob

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I’ve got a pile of new D60s if you’re interested Bob. D90s too but different vintages.

And I look forward to the photos, Nando! I wasn’t thinking trade, but I’ll leave that to you.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Very nice work patching that back in. I'll let you know about the Ds - I might buy a few off of you. Still have a few XL-IIs in varying lengths so I'm not completely devoid of Type II, but not many by your guys standards...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
100 pieces seems like a comfortable number. They do eat up space however.

I finally learned to flip the shakes over. No asshat sanding jobs and 37 layers of paint to deal with (16 of which are lead). So it’s all brown as I go up but the darker ones are recycled. I clean the drip edge and square the sides to the edge. Going pretty well but under that window sucked piecing it together.

Elite-ist

Staff member
TDK MA-XG

Photos I took today of the TDK MA-XG90, Jim may be interested in. I also scanned the inserts and J-card. The cassette is unused.

20210816_071218.jpg

20210816_072617.jpg

20210816_072649.jpg

(edited)_002.png

(edited)_001(2).png

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Port Washington! That's the USA version. (although I doubt any differences at all, other than the outer wrapper, I have passed in JDM versions as I wanted to have the ones I would have bought.)

I worked on Long Island for years but never visited the address... Probably still a TDK owned building but no tape activity there obviously. It would have been fun to chat with someone from "the old days" there.

The SA-XG is going to be really tough. I can't recall the last time I even saw a used one for sale. I suspect any high-rollers that might consider that tape would be going for the MA-XG instead. But the SA-XG will sound so much better!