Pics of your Favorite Cassette Tapes

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
When do you let yourself know that you know?
I am sorry, but I have basically cleaned up on most desirable cassettes that have come into IA, including this past Sunday at the IA Garage Sale. At first, I didn't bother with buying any of the sealed Type 1 cassettes available at IA. But, that soon changed as I discovered how well a ferric tape can sound from mix tapes I have received from other members, namely Vince and Sep. TH member, Arnold Layne, also makes a wonderful recording on a basic ferric. I think now, the challenge for me and a few others is to make the best possible recording from an entry level cassette. Maybe, more members should join The Challenge.

Nando.
I understand your thoughts completely,it is easy to use Metal Tape or Chrome to copy an LP you like but to use a Type1 that is a challenge! You would have to set your input carefully.For some of us it is too much of a challenge,as we are somewhat lazy.I'm speaking for myself as well!

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
I think now, the challenge for me and a few others is to make the best possible recording from an entry level cassette. Maybe, more members should join The Challenge.

Nando.
Sounds fair... Nando, shall I record my last offer to you on such a tape?

(if I'm not satisfied with the final result I can always record it on a Cro2 or Metal tape....)

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
Miles, your Sony should do a great job just using a regular typeI, at least you can try and i already told you i preffer this way, new music and experimenting new recordings methods makes this hobby even more exciting... I always thought typeI's are designed for boomby music, well not anymore and i use them even for critical recordings, my 4seasons of Vivaldi sing extremely hi-fi on a regular Sony HF. And i'm using typeII's for speach :toothy10:

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline

(if I'm not satisfied with the final result I can always record it on a Cro2 or Metal tape....)
I am soooooo lazy as I can't micromanage the input on Type 1.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I'm listening to the Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely on a Maxell LN with dolby C, JVC TD-V661 dual capstan, the result isn't bad at all and this is a very basic tape. +2db peak max.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
I'm listening to the Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely on a Maxell LN with dolby C, JVC TD-V661 dual capstan, the result isn't bad at all and this is a very basic tape. +2db peak max.
Are they into Jazz at all?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member

By all means, Miles - a ferric cassette with Dolby C would be great. You have to be judicious with the input recording levels, keeping them in the 0 to +2dB range. Some of the premium ferrics are suited to this range.

I have a friend, Robert, who has a very nice system. He and I have known each other for a few years. I called him a snob for giving a thumbs down for use of Type 1 tapes in his decks. He just laughed, as I think he is where I had been up until a short year ago. I have to convince him that Type 1 tapes are the underdogs of Tapedom.

Nando.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
Forgot about one of my truly favourites, AGFA ferrocolor HD and i have a couple of those recorded which still sound very good, very nice shell and great sound for a typeI :thumbright:

Nick Danger

I am sorry, but I have basically cleaned up on most desirable cassettes that have come into IA, including this past Sunday at the IA Garage Sale. At first, I didn't bother with buying any of the sealed Type 1 cassettes available at IA. But, that soon changed as I discovered how well a ferric tape can sound from mix tapes I have received from other members, namely Vince and Sep. TH member, Arnold Layne, also makes a wonderful recording on a basic ferric. I think now, the challenge for me and a few others is to make the best possible recording from an entry level cassette. Maybe, more members should join The Challenge.

Nando.

Challenge accepted! I have had great results with TDK D and just recorded a couple of albums today for the archives:

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline

Challenge accepted! I have had great results with TDK D and just recorded a couple of albums today for the archives:

Wow! It's GREAT to have another Jazz fan here. Most of the guys at TH are only into ROCK and POP and HIPHOP as well as Heavy Metal and IndustrialMusic (whatever that is) There is nothing better than Trane and Grant Green . I have all of the Grant Green CDs.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
@Nick Danger TDK D-90 is great tape I think you will get good results with that. I believe you can push that tape to +2 on the Vu Meters. BTW your equipment blows my mind.

Nick Danger

@Nick Danger TDK D-90 is great tape I think you will get good results with that. I believe you can push that tape to +2 on the Vu Meters. BTW your equipment blows my mind.
+2 is peak I try to stay at with TDK D and is my preferred Type I tape . I am going to try some of the NAC Audio Pro Type I in the future and will keep you posted.

Appreciate the kind words regarding my gear, Jazzguy. Please let me know what you think of the MD after you have a chance to give it a listen.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
+2 is peak I try to stay at with TDK D and is my preferred Type I tape . I am going to try some of the NAC Audio Pro Type I in the future and will keep you posted.

Appreciate the kind words regarding my gear, Jazzguy. Please let me know what you think of the MD after you have a chance to give it a listen.
I'll send you a PM as soon as I listen to it.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Forgot about one of my truly favourites, AGFA ferrocolor HD and i have a couple of those recorded which still sound very good, very nice shell and great sound for a typeI :thumbright:

That's not one I've seen before, Sep.

Nick: I haven't tried any TDK D tapes, yet. I was surprised what even an older Maxell UR could do. TH member, Arnold Layne, did a very nice recording for me onto a newer Maxell UR 90 using his Nakamichi Dragon. Side A was recorded from 8-track cassettes and Side B from vinyl. And who said the lowly 8-track has no balls. All tracks were progressive rock titles.

Nando.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman