Pics of your Favorite Cassette Tapes

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Sony GIG-I Cassette

I have a good supply of these, and I made several mixed recordings for friends using this basic ferric tape. I use Sony more than any other brand, presently.

Nando.

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Here's a few, Maxell "metal" capsule type IV, worked great in my dual capstan JVC, no issues. Actually all these tapes worked well. The hitachi isn't a super performer but still works, I think I had trouble bias/levelling it, I just like the look of that one.

Elite-ist

Staff member
@NANDO where did you get them? I like them! They are SO JAPANESE!
Turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so! :laughing9:
I bought all these sealed Sony GIG-1 ferric tapes from Innovative Audio. There may be a handful left on the rack which I left for others to pick through. But, if they are still there next time I'm in, I"ll buy the rest. I picked up another 11 sealed cassettes for $11 during the IA Garage Sale last Sunday.

Japanese gear features highly in my system collection, Derek.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Here's a few, Maxell "metal" capsule type IV, worked great in my dual capstan JVC, no issues. Actually all these tapes worked well. The hitachi isn't a super performer but still works, I think I had trouble bias/levelling it, I just like the look of that one.

Derek: I haven't tried recording on a Maxell Metal Capsule, yet. I bet that TDK AD-X is nice-sounding, and the old TDK SA 90 is as good as it gets from that time period, lasting for a long time without sound degradation.

Nando.

derek92994

Tagline
I bought all these sealed Sony GIG-1 ferric tapes from Innovative Audio. There may be a handful left on the rack which I left for others to pick through. But, if they are still there next time I'm in, I"ll buy the rest. I picked up another 11 sealed cassettes for $11 during the IA Garage Sale last Sunday.

Nando.
Yeah I was having a laugh at the song, its by the Vapors, a UK song. I have it on 45rpm single somewhere. Not having a dig at japanese gear, just letting you know =). The other 9500s amp is awaiting pickup but the idiots sent it 4 suburbs away instead of the place 2 mins away, otherwise I would have it today, now gotta wait till monday, no major issues just annoying how the postage system works.

derek92994

Tagline
Derek: I haven't tried recording on a Maxell Metal Capsule, yet. I bet that TDK AD-X is nice-sounding, and the old TDK SA 90 is as good as it gets from that time period, lasting for a long time without sound degradation.

Nando.
The maxell metal capsule tape is the one that I played through my JVC TD-V661 when I visited my friend with that $10,000 luxman system, he was impressed. Dolby C was used due to lots of quiet passages in the Mannheim Steamroller Fresh Aire 2 album. Des from tapeheads didn't have a high opinion of those tapes but I think they work just fine. Probably the only 2 metal tapes that I own that are "usable". Maybe you could help me obtain some metal tapes one day? =))

Elite-ist

Staff member
The maxell metal capsule tape is the one that I played through my JVC TD-V661 when I visited my friend with that $10,000 luxman system, he was impressed. Dolby C was used due to lots of quiet passages in the Mannheim Steamroller Fresh Aire 2 album. Des from tapeheads didn't have a high opinion of those tapes but I think they work just fine. Probably the only 2 metal tapes that I own that are "usable". Maybe you could help me obtain some metal tapes one day? =))
I like to use Dolby C with most of my recordings. I could pop in a pair of sealed Type IV tapes with my next mix tape to you, down the road, Derek. I also plan to send one to Ben to try out, too.

Nando.

derek92994

Tagline
I like to use Dolby C with most of my recordings. I could pop in a pair of sealed Type IV tapes with my next mix tape to you, down the road, Derek. I also plan to send one to Ben to try out, too.

Nando.
If you can sell any I'd appreciate it, I'm after any amount I can get my hands on. Ebay sucks. Still doing it tough financially though. PM me if you can organise this in the future. Cheers.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
When do you let yourself know that you know?

Nando.
@Nando I tried to Google Innovative Audio and got too many responses.Can you possibly have the phone # or the website? I want to order some.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
Does any member know which Innovate Audio this is?I just called an Audio Store in NYC called Innovate Audio they say the name is not copywrited.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
I have one of those GIG I's blank received from Nando together with his mixtape as a gift, really interesting design of the shell and very robust, it is a very nice super ferric and need to try it out soon.

Thanks Nando.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
I have one of those GIG I's blank received from Nando together with his mixtape as a gift, really interesting design of the shell and very robust, it is a very nice super ferric and need to try it out soon.

Thanks Nando.
The young lady I spoke to is one of the owners. A really nice girl!

Elite-ist

Staff member
The young lady I spoke to is one of the owners. A really nice girl!
I am sorry, but I have basically cleaned up on most desirable cassettes that have come into IA, including this past Sunday at the IA Garage Sale. At first, I didn't bother with buying any of the sealed Type 1 cassettes available at IA. But, that soon changed as I discovered how well a ferric tape can sound from mix tapes I have received from other members, namely Vince and Sep. TH member, Arnold Layne, also makes a wonderful recording on a basic ferric. I think now, the challenge for me and a few others is to make the best possible recording from an entry level cassette. Maybe, more members should join The Challenge.

Nando.

Last edited: